Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bsod on newly build machine

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Very unusual for any component to be over clocked from the factory but the installation of newer software may have set the OC enabled.
Damage cold have occurred but normally if the card was made to be OC it may be that the system itself or the AMD Catalyst as your friend said was fighting with the OCing.

Advertisements

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Sorry for the late feedback it seems that disabling amd overdrive is just a temporary fix. Already had 4 lock ups during the past few days. I only notice this happens on online games. Pc runs fine for single player type of games like call of duty black ops 2. Is there a possibility that my internet is the culprit? I have a 3mbps dsl internet connection, but I never heard of a situation like this.

I also texted my friend the one who disabled the overdrive and he told me to enable amd overdrive and adjust it manually. He told mo to underclock the gpu processor and the memory speed. default gpu speed is 1250 mhz and I set it on 950 mhz. Memory speed undeclocked at 1300 mhz from 1400 mhz. Raised fan spin from 45% to 60%. I did this yesterday but haven't tested the machine yet as I don't have much time to do it.

If the gpu cannot handle the processing on the default speed does that mean its defective? If the settings mentioned above becomes stable I may not use the actual speed that I paid for. Or should I return the card? thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may mean that something els eis not set right and not the GPU itself.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
For the past 2 weeks the machine has been stable as long as its underclocked. To maintain, catalyst manager should always be active on system tray icon on the lower right of my screen. If I try to close it and play a game it always freeze. For now I can say that may problem has been solved but it would be better if it would run stable for a whole year. Thanks again Sir for the help. ciao!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome to post back in this topic at anytime even a year from now. I will receive a email even then. :thumbsup:

urosh92

urosh92

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Okay, I am pretty sure I am already ruining some rules by posting into topic from 2013. but this is exactly the problem that I have.
Installed Heroes of Newerth and it crashed 2 times( shows power saving mode on my monitor then going on "standby" mode and after 10seconds screen comes back but whole screen is black and I can only see cursor(with in-game skin) and it is stuck like that until I end process the game.).
Then I updated my AMD drivers to latest version, lowered graphical settings in game and after ~10minutes I got BSOD. Now I checked event viewer and realized "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." was happening that 2 times my game "crashed". For BSOD I downloaded BlueScreenView and did suggested thing from second post. Here are notepad results:

Dump File         : 042316-27814-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 23.4.2016 19:42:18
Bug Check String  : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000050
Parameter 1       : fffff8a0`1ab38000
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000001
Parameter 3       : fffff880`14b2a792
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+80640
File Description  : NT Kernel & System
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+80640
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\042316-27814-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 275.672
Dump File Time    : 23.4.2016 19:43:54

Also I checked overdrive on radeon settings, but can't tell is my GPU overclocked or not, I never actually overclocked/overdrived anything on my PC.
P.S. Guy who started this topic mentioned he get same problem with DotA 2, meanwhile my dota 2 was working perfectly so far,tho I didn't try it after driver update :)

Edited by urosh92, 23 April 2016 - 12:36 PM.