Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo Edge Start Up Loop [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Okay, you may have a hard drive problem.

Here are some instructions to test that if you wish. They are for Seagate but I believe work on any hard drive.

Go to Sea Tools for Dos tutoria for tutorial instructions.

Click on Seatools to download the tool.

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence Bios Boot Order Guide. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

Advertisements

Sab30

Sab30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay I will try that tomorrow...if its a fail does that mean my data is toast???

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

if its a fail does that mean my data is toast???

Well you could try the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery options although if the hard drive is dying I think the chances are low.

Sometimes it's possible to run chkdsk and get the disk up enough to access your data but if we can't access the command screen we won't be able to run chkdsk.

Some commercial outlets offer forensic services that can get back lost data from a hard drive but they are quite expensive. I guess it depends on how much you are prepared to spend and how important the data is.

Okay I will try that tomorrow...

Look forward to hearing how it goes. :)

Sab30

Sab30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry for the delay....I was away.

Long test in Progress.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
:thumbsup:

Sab30

Sab30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Passed! That must be good...??

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Well it's good that it's not a hardware failure but your OS may still be so corrupted that we can't access it.

Guess you could try the Lenovo option to "rescue files" or use Lenovo "restore" option. By the way Lenovo Rescue and Recovery page doesn't include an option to access the Command Prompt does it?

Alternatively, I wonder if it's worth another try at using the OTLPE disc to try and boot up the machine?

Sab30

Sab30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No Command Prompt...did the restore option which of course worked...but all Data is gone...pics and videos...sad day...lesson learned.

Thanks for your help...

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Very sorry we couldn't get your data back.

I suppose it's a plus that it wasn't the hard drive.

Moral of the story is backup! backup! backup!

All the best for the future. :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements