Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"System" at 100% CPU Utilization

• Please log in to reply

emtownsend

emtownsend

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I read in another thread that TrendMicro virus scanner causes this, but I have a XP Home laptop that does not use TrendMicro and is having this issue.
It is interesting that the CPU utilization is at 100% but I can run just about anything anyway. It is the disk access that suffers. I did install Norton Antivirus to scan the drive but it will take hours to scan due to the disk performance hit.
I did notice that when the Beagle variant Trojan removal software was run, it stopped "Explorer" and "IExplorer" as part of the process which made the harddrive respond normally. No Trojan found... Now, when I manually end task on "Explorer" though nothing changes. What gives?
I went through the "Run" and "RunOnce" registry keys and removed excess stuff but that did not help. I also stopped just about every process I could imagine and that did not help either. Best I can tell the "system" is to blame.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Edited by emtownsend, 08 June 2005 - 11:34 AM.

Advertisements

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
When you open Task Manager, what Proccess is taking the 100%?

back2killah

back2killah

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi,

Have you used the processes tab in Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) to view which process is hogging the CPU?

emtownsend

emtownsend

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, the "System" process is taking 99%. I am going to run Norton's antispyware which I have had good luck with in the past. Hopefully I will hit on something.