Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 new Pc not as good as old connection

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I have not long had my new laptop with w8 installed. My old vista laptop had no probs communicating with the router. I have two comps in the home - my wife has one 30 feet away and hers works fine - I have this new one and I am 10 feet away and it has problems connecting.

Its not the router or the network provider - i am sure is this w8 useless comp somehow mucking with the settings.

I keep phoning my providers who give limited help and say it is beyond their training. The want me to pay more money for bigger help - I said no.

Wgat they do is reset the config settings/stabilise? etc and it works for the rest of the day and then when i wake it in morning its back doing its "limited connection" thing. SOMETIMES if it gets left for a while, then it starts working again but its unstable showing the bars going up and down.

I can provide the diagnostics test results if you like but even that tool cant get it stable even though it says issue fixed....

Any help on this would be appreciated.....my gut tells me it is in the settings or w8 is doing something weird and stopping it from working properly....

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
More problems.

W8.1 came up on my pc today so I thought why not. After that I lost wifi and only can go on ethernet cable which I am on now.

So a refresh is ok? I am not as saavy as you gys, and worry that I will lose stuff - can anyone direct me through the process to get back to 8?