Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Laptop screen goes dim then back to bright

• Please log in to reply

6stringer

6stringer

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hello;

I have an HP model G72 laptop that has developed a very annoying habit of flickering dim then back to bright again.I have not been able to pinpoint a pattern to this flickering. One thing I did discover just a few minutes ago was that when I unplugged the power cord and ran off of battery power the flickering stopped. I always run this laptop connected to AC as it is the main family computer. Also, I noticed when I unplugged the power cord that the battery indicator was only at 56%. Shouldn't it always be at 100% if it stays plugged in? Any ideas as to what's causing the flickering to dim when plugged in? Power cord or something internal?

Thanks all

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello 6stringer

This does sound like a power problem of sorts, this is not limited to the battery or the AC power adaptor and another component such as the inverter for example could be on the way out.

One thing I did discover just a few minutes ago was that when I unplugged the power cord and ran off of battery power the flickering stopped.

What happens if you remove the battery and use the notebook when connected only to the mains power by way of the AC adaptor.

I always run this laptop connected to AC as it is the main family computer. Also, I noticed when I unplugged the power cord that the battery indicator was only at 56%. Shouldn't it always be at 100% if it stays plugged in?

If you use a notebook over a period of time with both the AC adaptor connected and the battery in place the latter will be damaged and reach it`s end of life expectancy prematurely, the solution to this under normal circumstances would be to fully charge the notebooks battery to 100%, remove the battery and store it somewhere safe, once in a while remove the AC adaptor, replace the battery then use the notebook until the battery runs out of charge, connect the AC adaptor, fully charge the battery, remove the battery and repeat the cycle when the time comes, this is basically exercising the battery and so will keep it fitter for longer.

Just a FYI, most if not all notebook main batteries have memory chips and if you constantly use a notebook with both the battery and mains power attached the battery becomes reliant on being told it is 100% charged by it`s memory chip and if the memory chip is damaged in any way it can prevent the battery from charging up to 100% and in some cases charging in any way at all, some batteries have a simple reset that can sometimes help and you can find some information on that Here

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Laptops are often setup to dim the screen when running off battery power to reduce the power consumption to increase the run time. It might be that the power connection has a problem, such as a failing power supply or a broken/bad connection, which the fact that the battery is not completely charged also tends to indicate.

It might be that you are moving the power cable (without realizing it) and that is what is causing the screen to change. You can try connecting it and gently flexing the cable to see if you can detect where it has a problem.

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I did not know about the concerns you mentioned with keeping the battery in place while running off of AC.This is my first laptop so I don't have a lot of experience with them. There is definitely something going on with the battery because the battery indicator now reads 19% available(plugged in,not charging).

I forgot to mention that when the computer is setting idle,not in sleep or power saving mode,it never flickers to dim. It's only when I'm actually using it.

I'm not moving the cable and even when I grab it to see if it will cause the screen to dim it doesn't do anything. I just checked the bottom and discovered that the fan grill was covered with lint so it may be overheating a bit. I will remove the battery to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

HP notebook cleaning guide

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Still not charging.

Removed the battery and so far no sign of the dimming issue I was having. Power cord must be OK after all so it must be the battery is shot.

Edited by 6stringer, 19 October 2013 - 06:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I would continue using the notebook with the battery removed, if the dimming issue does not return then the battery was the culprit and no long term damage has been done.

I do not suggest using generic replacement batteries as there are so many poor quality imported ones around, a genuine HP battery for your notebook (whilst it is an unwelcome bill) is relatively inexpensive, not sure where you are in the world so a couple of examples UK and USA

HP direct

6stringer

6stringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Thank you, will order a NEW battery!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts