Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a new built computer

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
This will probably be the last computer I get. I wanted one that would do what I need not what the factory thinks I need so I am having one built. I did tell them I need plenty of memory so they said, "4GB would be enough also 500 on hard drive. It has a DVD burner. Now, I shall use Advast as my Virus detection for I like it best of all. I plan on putting at least two card shops on this machine plus many pictures of grandchildren. I want to store some of my stories on the machine and would like to be able to download music. I have come here before and always have been helped. I have a laptop that has Firefox on it and Roadrunner as my email server. I want to change both. Could you please tell me what you would recommend. Is there things that I am missing that should be put on this computer? If so please let me know so I can call the Computer store and tell them what else I need. They are building it for me, so there is no problem with adding something more. I would so appreciate any advice you have on this. Thank you.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Well i am probably not best expert on here,but can give you my thoughts if i can be of help to you.

These days most use a 1TB hard drive (1000GB) or 2TB. If you require or want the space.

Seems with the photo programs and if use video programs 4GB RAM is not alot these days and anyway most machines out now are up to 16GB or more.

As far as downloading,it matters what is offered in your area Fiber optics is fastest speeds for downloading,phone companies usually offer this.Roadrunner is Time/Warner is a cable company,not as fast but can be good enough.
Firefox to me one best browsers,i still do not like IE.Chrome is good too.You can have any e-mail server all are free.

Not to certain about avast being best,can ask others, i prefer Norton Anti-Virus,internet security or 360.Plus it's better a full internet security.

Having a good Video card one that is not integrated into the system,but one in a PCI-E slot would be the best for viewing pictures in best quality.

EVGA and ATI make some good ones.Plus a good monitor,LED are newest type,best quality,flat panel.Can go with LCD monitor too.
I have a LCD with LED Backlit 22" flat panel IPS HDMI monitor.

If downloading music then i assume you would want decent quality sound from the PC.
You can look into a good sound card in a PCI slot instead of integrated one.Creative Sound blaster for one kind,plus a good pair of speakers.

Again if this is just for music,two stereo speakers are fine,if for more 5.1 would be more ideal.Hope any of this helps,let you know more if you want.

Can see what others may say.Good luck!!!:thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Please supply a little more information so we can best give you advice.
A complete list of all the parts that have been suggested by the shop, including the brand/model of the power supply unit, The Windows version OS suggested.
the price you have been quoted? What would be your max budget?
What kind of service/warranty is being offered?

what OS are you using at the moment?
What monitor are you using? brand/model please.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Gday.
Please supply a little more information so we can best give you advice.
A complete list of all the parts that have been suggested by the shop, including the brand/model of the power supply unit, The Windows version OS suggested.
the price you have been quoted? What would be your max budget?
What kind of service/warranty is being offered?

what OS are you using at the moment?
What monitor are you using? brand/model please.

Sorry i did not think to ask this too :confused:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday jds63.

Not a problem. There is a lot to consider when compiling a reply. I have been doing it for quite a while, and still miss out things.
Keep going though, only way to learn. more experienced people are watching over you (and me.)

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Wow! I really don't know that much about the workings of a computer. I was hoping that they at the shop would be able to do what I asked and put what I needed. I am going Windows 7. No way at my age do I want to try to tackle 8. Love working on the computer but do not go to a lot of web pages. I have those I use all the time and stay with them. I have had Avast on my computer since one of the guys on this site suggested it and have had no problem with any virus. You have given me much to think about while I was just asking what was necessary. I have two very good speakers and a sound card will be installed on my machine. Roadrunner may be an all right mail server but I find it has problems all the time. I want one that I don't have to deal with so many problems. My pictures are very necessary to me. I want to have them on my machine so I can enjoy seeing them. Do you think I need more memory? I would rather pay more for what I will require. I guess when one does this, they need to trust the Computer shop that is building the machine. It has a 6 month warranty . I will be able to return the machine and get full refund if not satisfied. As for the final cost, I gave them a limit that I would not go over. I said that 800 dollars or a little more was all I wanted to spend on this. I do know you can really get into the money when one builds your machine. I just want one that will last for I do not plan on getting another. This is going to be my Christmas present to me. Thank you for all the information. I shall copy the questions down and share them with the shop. I so appreciate you and your imput here. How I wish I had a computer years ago. Once again, thank you.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Gday jds63.

Not a problem. There is a lot to consider when compiling a reply. I have been doing it for quite a while, and still miss out things.
Keep going though, only way to learn. more experienced people are watching over you (and me.)

Thanks Guy, :thumbsup: Been using computers for a long time and always willing to learn more even at my age,never too old to learn and i find it interesting is a hobby of mine.
But my experience with helping people here is new still,that i am learning lately.Always some one who knows more then us,why i come here.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Wow! I really don't know that much about the workings of a computer. I was hoping that they at the shop would be able to do what I asked and put what I needed. I am going Windows 7. No way at my age do I want to try to tackle 8. Love working on the computer but do not go to a lot of web pages. I have those I use all the time and stay with them. I have had Avast on my computer since one of the guys on this site suggested it and have had no problem with any virus. You have given me much to think about while I was just asking what was necessary. I have two very good speakers and a sound card will be installed on my machine. Roadrunner may be an all right mail server but I find it has problems all the time. I want one that I don't have to deal with so many problems. My pictures are very necessary to me. I want to have them on my machine so I can enjoy seeing them. Do you think I need more memory? I would rather pay more for what I will require. I guess when one does this, they need to trust the Computer shop that is building the machine. It has a 6 month warranty . I will be able to return the machine and get full refund if not satisfied. As for the final cost, I gave them a limit that I would not go over. I said that 800 dollars or a little more was all I wanted to spend on this. I do know you can really get into the money when one builds your machine. I just want one that will last for I do not plan on getting another. This is going to be my Christmas present to me. Thank you for all the information. I shall copy the questions down and share them with the shop. I so appreciate you and your imput here. How I wish I had a computer years ago. Once again, thank you.

Sharon Windows 8 is not so hard to figure out,as told iammykl,were never too old to learn.Plus as time goes on most software and hardware will work either only on or best with the newer Operating systems.But Windows 7 is still very good,i had it before 8.Yeah i rambled on with too much info.:whistling:without asking some more important first questions.If Roadrunner is bad for you,what does your local phone company offer?Yes cable companies do have issues alot, it is the way it is setup in there system outside,i worked for one for many years.

Memory will matter in ways if you run alot of programs at once or ones that require alot to memory.The computer will run better less chance of freeze ups.Lately some newer programs require more.4-8GB could be fine for you in Windows 7.

If these pictures are very important to you i would suggest to always back them up.

Either a external hard drive,USB thumb Drive or DVD. If you leave it only on the PC and something happens there lost then.Your welcome,good luck!!

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I am so glad you entioned that about the pictures for they are of my kids and grandchildren. Most were sent from phones and I am not sure they still have them. I may have to just get some photo paper and copy them all and that way I will have them. But, I will do as you have said. One more thing please. I have a HP Laptop, will I be able to get all my addresses from there to the new computer with no problem. There are a few things I would like placed on the new computer from the laptop. Is this a hard thing to do? Please say no. :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Sharon,

It's not too hard, there are a couple of options. You can run a backup on the old PC and restore it to the new PC. Or you can run a Windows Easy Transfer which migrates your profile to the new PC. Or you can manually copy/paste files and folders that you need and transfer them to the new PC in this way.

From your description, it sounds like it would be best to ask the PC shop if they can quote you on moving everything over. This way when the job is done, you can verify everything looks good at the PC shop before bringing it home. Of course there will likely be extra charge for this.

For your antivirus, Avast is fine and plenty of our staff gurus here use it themselves.

As a PC builder myself, these days my minimum specification will include 120GB SSD, 500GB or 1TB of Hard Drive space, and 16GB of RAM (8GB on request). Hardware is cheap enough that it can be done easy enough.

Cheers

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Troy said.

From your description, it sounds like it would be best to ask the PC shop if they can quote you on moving everything over. This way when the job is done, you can verify everything looks good at the PC shop before bringing it home. Of course there will likely be extra charge for this

Good idea, less likely to be mistakes. They could also copy over your address book. Just take about four clicks.
If you would like to post the list for the build, we could take a look and perhaps give some suggestion.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you for telling me about that. I talked to them and they are more than willing to do so. Never really would have thought to have thought to ask them to move everything over. How much easier will that be for me. I appreciate your advice. I am anxious to get the new computer and get the card shops loaded. I am very happy with the Computer Store for they have been so helpful. They answered all my questions I put to them after reading your posts and did not seem put out one bit. Thank you so much for your help. I shall let you know how it works.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Any PC tech worth his or her salt should easily be able to answer those sorts of questions. Glad to hear they are up to the task. If you have any further questions please let us know.