Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What cable/adapter do I need to connect my Pc to old monitor.

• Please log in to reply

Bosstones

Bosstones

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

I moved to Spain and brought my tower with me leaving my monitor at home. I bought a crappy old monitor which only has a VGA out slot. Basically i just want to know which cable or adapter I need to buy to get the monitor to work.

My tower seems to have multiple display ports. I have a Radeon HD 6950 2048MB Video Card. I have posted a picture of the outputs on the back of my computer but it has HDMI and a DVI out slot. Which DVI I have is where I get confused. From looking at wikipedia diagrams on DVI outputs it looks like DVI M1 - DA but the cable I used back home looks like it goes into the DVI-D. I've posted 2 picture of the cable I used at home (it's the white cable and both ends are the same. In the first picture you can see the back of the monitor I left at home).

Foolishly I think, I bought a HDMI to HDMI cable which doesnt work (I didnt really expect it to). The only reason I bought it was because it has a VGA slot which connected to the old monitor and an HDMI which connect to the tower. But the monitor doesnt seem to recognise it and no buttons on it (it's a Philips 170-S) allow me to choose input. In fact none of the buttons are currently doing anthing. I've added a photo of that cable so you can confirm if itt could work at all or not. I also have an old VGA - VGA cable that obviously won't connect to my computer but maybe with an adapter (which!?) it will.

Thanks very much for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20131020_172333.jpg
  • IMG-20131020-WA0003.jpg
  • IMG-20131020-WA0011.jpg
  • 20131020_201938.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Bosstones

You need a DVI to VGA adaptor make sure you get the appropriate VGA connection as some are female and some are male, see Here

Bosstones

Bosstones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi thanks for your reply. But do I get a DVI-I or DVI - D adaptor. Also is there anything I can use that HDMI cble I bought. I intend on hooking up my xbox 360 aswell at some point. Can that come in handy or sould I return it?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello, you need DVI-I.
http://nvidia.custhe...detail/a_id/221

For the Xbox,it doesn't look like keeping the HDMI cable will do you any good unless you plan to connect it directly to a HDMI-capable display.
http://support.xbox....-360-console-tv

Cheers

Bosstones

Bosstones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

Thanks very much for your help! I got the DVI-I adaptor and it worked.

This leaves me with an HDMI - VGA cable (despite the box saying it is HDMI - HDMI) which I can't figure out what it's used for. There's a picture of it above. I have plugged it into my xbox to both a new modern TV and it didnt do anything and also to my monitor.

i have also plugged it into a laptop and connected it to the VGA port on my TV. When I change sources it doesn;t recognise anything. Do I need to change some settings on my laptop for this to work? My laptop is from early 2012 so surely I don't need a VGA - HDMI converter box do I? It has Intel HD Graphics 3000.

My ultimate aim is to connect my xbox to my monitor but I think I need one of the cables in the link above and not this VGA cable unfortunately.

If someone could please tell me what this cable is for and how to use it I would be grateful!

Thanks again

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
For the VGA - HDMI adapter, it looks like you need to connect the VGA port to the laptop and the HDMI port to the display. I don't think it will work the other way around. Have you tried it this way?

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
If you used HDMI to set up the connections you have to set the input of the TV/monitor to HDMI off the menu.