Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Public message board user claiming to have IP addresses?

• Please log in to reply

Kristin25

Kristin25

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've posted for a while on a public gossip board. However, there is a user claiming to know who is who by ip address. Is this possible? How could another poster know other posters IP address.

No registration is asked for on this site. You just post a screen name and a fake email then post your comment. However the fake email i put in was used as a screen name by this person. It was in a mocking way. So how is this possible? And/or legal?

I'm really getting sick of the "threat" and controlling nature of this poster.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
An IP address is not personally identifiable information (at least not without a court order). It can be used to identify your ISP, and approximate geographic area. Your IP address is broadcast, and generally recorded to every site you visit. This is done for a number of management and security reasons. However, I would guess if you're unable to see their IP address, they're unable to see yours. Generally only system administrators have access to IP logs.

Kristin25

Kristin25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Pretty sure this poster knows the admin. Poster in question is also believed to be the subject being discussed and does not like what is being said. sad. Is this legal?

Poster and person of question seems obsessed w/being liked to the point of harassing/intimidating. It's a fair game board and very nasty place full of drama constantly, for those who seek it. However, I do not think it is legal for a website company to be "incahoots" with and give out information to a non-affiliate of the website whether the post is about them or not. :(

Edited by Kristin25, 22 October 2013 - 08:09 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Unless an action has been taken that is of malicious intent or of harm, it is legal.
Here's an example:
On XBox players connect to a lobby. This lobby has a set IP range, then the other IP's are obviously the players. Player1 is running a network sniffing program hooked through his XBox/Network and is able to see all IP's in the lobby. This is legal and within his 'rights'.
However... Let's say Player1 then runs a Denial of Service attack on Player2, this then becomes illegal.

Now making threats is also considered illegal in many standards, but rarely is it followed up on over the internet and/or taken seriously (unless it's a large event/threat to the masses). However, as mentioned, he will not be able to just directly dox (find out all your personal information, location, etc) just off the IP without a court order or government clearance (or without hacking either or, which is unlikely to happen of course).

Moving on to the site giving out your information, you are correct that they are not supposed to share said information with the end user. However without proof, you do not have any 'case' and even with proof - It takes a lot to get authorities involved in e-Crimes from all I've seen. So with that being said, I recommend you just avoid the user and if you feel it is becoming more offensive or that he has your IP address... You can always call your ISP and they should be able to help you get a new WAN IP.

Kristin25

Kristin25

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay thanks for answering. But there is multiple opinions on the net whether someone can hack into or eavesdrop your pc just by having ip address. Does anyone know the actual truth about this?

Can someone gain access to your phone or pc just by having your ip address? i found a site that says yes and you just have to install some software and bam. I have never been concerned about this before. Won't a firewall block all that?

This person after posting this starting saying they had the address, ss# and names of everyone posting... and that they must die (lol kinda at that one). However with the money this person has... it is very possible they might have access to this. That's my concern.

Edited by Kristin25, 26 October 2013 - 04:00 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The thing about hacking is that almost anything is hackable given enough time and expertise. Just ask the NSA. However, is an IP enough for even a skilled hacker to gain access to your computer? Probably not. Especially if you use a wireless router (see NAT), or if you have the Windows or other firewall enabled. Windows enables the firewall by default, and security center will warn you if it's disabled.

The best protection is a router with NAT (pretty much any of them).