Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

change is needed...

• Please log in to reply

Tenchi

Tenchi

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok here is my current set up...

Desktop is an old Dell Dimensions XPS with Windows XP Professional.
Laptop #1 is a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP Professional.
Laptop #2 is a Dell Inspiron 7500 with Windows 2000.

I have a wireless network set up through a Dell Router and broadband through a cable modem. The desktop is directly wired to the router and the laptops are wireless. So the desktop shares it's internet connection and printers with the laptops. I set up a workgroup so we can swap files between all three. But now we are getting confused on who has what files and multiple files that we are not sure which one is the most updated on without opening it. :tazz:

What I want to do now is buy a print server so we do not have to turn on the desktop just to print, and I also want to buy a network attached storage so it can act like a "server" and leave it on. Is it possible to set up a domain type network with what I have and what I want? I want to eliminate the confusion with the files and log the laptops on like a clients instead of choosing a user at the start up screen.

Also, last thing, I want to set up something that will be compatible with macs (Powerbook and I-Mac G5) that we are going to buy in the near future.

If you have any advise please let me know. I would also appreciate a tutorial on how to set this type of network up. ;)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
xp will not work as a server. to have a true server/client system you would have to have at least 2000 server installed on a machine. which would negate the need for a print server because you could install the printers on the server and leave it up and running but not logged in. i

f you are not wanting to do the server/client thing, i think with the files shared you can just map to the drives that the files are shared on and edit them from there. you can't edit them if someone already has it open but this is still the case with a client server/setup.

for the client server setup to work with your internet connection you would have to set up NAT so that all 3 computers could have ip addresses but still use the one ip that you are given from your ISP to use with your router. you can contact your ISP for assistance with setting this up on their router. they may even send a tech to help (the server Must be static, the other two can be dynamic or static but the easiest with 3 pcs would probably be static).

if you install the appletalk protocol on your windows machines they will be able to communicate with apple machines. However Appletalk is very "chatty" so i wouldn't put too many apple machines on a mixed environment or you will lose bandwidth like no body's business.

Edited by dsenette, 08 June 2005 - 01:54 PM.

Tenchi

Tenchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the reply.

So I guess the client/server is out... I do have drives mapped out on each computer to access the shared files. I guess the closest thing that would act like a server is a NAS. I was looking around and found this one:

LINKSYS
120GB EtherFast Network Attached Storage with Print Server

The EtherFast® Network Attached Storage from Linksys is a fast, powerful and flexible addition to your network that provides additional storage space for your network. It features two hard drive bays - one with a 120 GB drive in it and the other for an additional IDE hard drive up to 120 GB. This Instant GigaDrive™ also features built-in disk utilities which allow you to run a self-test, backup, scandisk or defrag. In case of two drives, you can even backup one drive with the other manually or on schedule, and create rotating backups. It has a built-in FTP server which allows you to transfer files using the FTP client of your choice. Files can be available publicly, or password-protected accounts can be created for authorized users. The drive can also be used as your network's Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server while the built-in print server can be used to add network printers without burdening your PC with spooling chores.

With my current set up, would this work / help? Is this a good product? It doesn't say that it works with a Mac OS though. Thanks again for the help.

Edited by Tenchi, 09 June 2005 - 05:21 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that looks like it would work for the file storage and print serving plus if you are using less than 120 gigs then you can use the second drive solely for backup wich is very important. depending on price issues i think this would be a good purchase for your system. you are right i don't see anything there or with lynksys that specifically denotes it's interaction with mac but most if not all windows enabled hardware has the ability to use appletalk i just dont know about the interaction with the harware's internal os. give linksys a call. they are really good at answering questions when it comes down to the decission of whether you give them your money or not.

Tenchi

Tenchi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Cool, thank you for your help.