Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The Specified Path Does Not Exist

• Please log in to reply

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thank you for reminding me of a long-standing Logitech mouse problem that once forced a more than 12-minute start-up time on this computer, and which could still be my start-up problem, but there is no yellow mark next to anything in my Device Manager.

In 2009, Logitech was unable to resolve the matter, and I ultimately deleted a device In Device Manager to speed start-up time somewhat, but I forget the details—and since forgot the matter.

The problem started in 2008, when I switched from one Logitech mouse to another. The new mouse said my then current SetPoint software would accommodate the mouse change, but it did not, so I made this inquiry of Logitech:

"My SetPoint Control Center software, version 2.42.257, using Driver version 2.42.257.00, won't let me select a different mouse. It's currently set to use your MX 600 mouse, but I want it changed to use your M-UR69 mouse. The SetPoint software, however, gives me NO option other than MX 600. I tried to install a fresh download of what I think is the correct software to drive the M-UR69 mouse (mw9791enu.exe), but the installation program tells me I have a newer version on my system and won't complete the software install. How do we solve this?"

This resulted in an online discussion thread wherein Logitech would have me uninstall, reinstall, again uninstall, try third-party uninstallers, buy RegCure for $39.95, run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, do much of the same in Safe mode, use a generic mouse driver, execute System Restore, and more.

Logitech could not tell me the names of related files to remove, nor could they guide me through the Registry. I ultimately told them the names of many files, but I still needed assistance. It was complicated.

I have a PDF of 12 small-print pages documenting my discussion with Logitech. We talked on the phone, too. We did lots. Nothing worked. I had to tell them good-bye.

I since switched to a wholly different mouse, albeit still Logitech (Model M215), and it is driven by a generic Windows driver.

That said, should I skip the mouse issue for now and just proceed with the remainder of your last instruction, or is there some other way to address the long-standing mouse problem at this point?

A pic of my Device Manager listing, expanded, is attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• Device Manager, Expanded .jpg

Edited by JIm Andersen, 02 November 2013 - 12:11 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Go back in to Device Manager and click on View, Show Hidden Devices. Perhaps it will show up there.

I see it loading in the boot log but it doesn't show up in Autoruns.

Go ahead and do the other stuff.

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the "Show Hidden" advice! Had no idea of that in Device Manager.

Moving on with your instructions, I'm at the point where you ask me to "verify the other 3 Net.something services are also set to disabled," but I find no other Net-dots—just two "Net" and several Network items:

Services List.jpg

Which of these, if any, should I verify are disabled?

Edited by JIm Andersen, 02 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Looks like you just have the one. net.tcp port sharing service. I have 4 on mine.

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Finally, after learning there were hidden devices to reveal in Device Manager, I did delete the yellow marked Device. As I then continued with your instructions and ultimately rebooted, a new device was recognized and the computer wanted me to install software for a mouse; the same mouse of the device I just deleted, but I installed nothing. Screenshots of the nightmare were captured along the way:

Screen Detail 0.jpg
Screen Detail 1.jpg
Screen Detail 2 .jpg
Screen Detail 3 .jpg

I then found this new "yellow marked" item in Device Manager:

Unknown Device.jpg

The Process Explorer Log is below.

Machine Debug Manager, presuming that was the problem "MDM", was already disabled.

I disabled Net.Tcp Port Sharing, and there were no other Net-dot items to disable.

Finally, the Autoruns log was zipped and is attached to this reply, and start-up time is about the same as last reported.

Process Explorer Log:

Process CPU Private Bytes Working Set PID Description Company Name Verified Signer
System Idle Process 95.38 0 K 16 K 0
procexp.exe 4.62 19,504 K 26,064 K 5440 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

(Verified) Microsoft Corporation
Interrupts < 0.01 0 K 0 K n/a Hardware Interrupts and DPCs
winlogon.exe 6,184 K 3,612 K 768 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

(Verified) Microsoft Windows Component Publisher
WindowsSearch.exe 7,188 K 11,680 K 2384 Windows Search System Tray Microsoft Corporation

(No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
vssvc.exe 1,604 K 5,236 K 2564 Microsoft® Volume Shadow Copy Service Microsoft Corporation

System 0 K 348 K 4
svchost.exe 19,520 K 29,680 K 1168 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 3,216 K 5,344 K 976 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 2,456 K 5,668 K 1084 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 2,500 K 3,584 K 1244 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1,816 K 4,448 K 1416 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 3,384 K 6,720 K 1504 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 2,540 K 4,500 K 2464 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 10,480 K 12,452 K 3748 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 1,676 K 3,664 K 3516 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 3,764 K 6,132 K 1608 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation (No signature was

present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
SMSvcHost.exe 17,724 K 14,000 K 2040 SMSvcHost.exe Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft

Corporation
smss.exe 168 K 416 K 444 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation (No

signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
services.exe 4,196 K 6,188 K 816 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation (No signature was

searchindexer.exe 19,012 K 11,328 K 2844 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Microsoft Corporation

(Verified) Microsoft Windows
Reader Library Launcher.exe 14,904 K 17,420 K 1264 Reader Library Launcher Sony Corporation (Verified) Sony

Corporation
msdtc.exe 2,176 K 5,488 K 3520 MS DTC console program Microsoft Corporation (Verified)

Microsoft Windows Component Publisher
lsass.exe 4,368 K 1,696 K 828 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation (No signature was

LOGI_MWX.EXE 744 K 2,420 K 1008 Logitech Launcher Application Logitech Inc. (Verified)

Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
locator.exe 1,268 K 3,120 K 2240 Rpc Locator Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present

in the subject) Microsoft Corporation
InetCtrl.exe 4,436 K 9,528 K 792 InetCtrl Application Bsecure Technologies, Inc. (Verified) AVG

Technologies
firefox.exe 202,976 K 34,972 K 2124 Firefox Mozilla Corporation (Verified) Mozilla Corporation
explorer.exe 40,580 K 24,192 K 404 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft

Windows Component Publisher
dllhost.exe 1,696 K 5,596 K 3292 COM Surrogate Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft

dllhost.exe 3,160 K 8,620 K 3696 COM Surrogate Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft

ctfmon.exe 1,228 K 4,000 K 1708 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation (Verified) Microsoft

csrss.exe 1,880 K 5,644 K 744 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

(Verified) Microsoft Windows Component Publisher
CarboniteUI.exe 16,324 K 26,100 K 1432 Carbonite User Interface Carbonite, Inc. (Verified) Carbonite
CarboniteService.exe 9,156 K 33,064 K 1320 Carbonite Secure Backup Engine Carbonite, Inc.

(www.carbonite.com) (Verified) Carbonite
BSecAMX.exe 1,340 K 4,220 K 1472 (Verified) AVG Technologies
avgwdsvc.exe 7,732 K 15,808 K 608 AVG Watchdog Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. (Verified) AVG

Technologies CZ
avgui.exe 5,580 K 15,004 K 1824 AVG User Interface AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. (Verified) AVG

Technologies CZ
avgrsx.exe 20,144 K 25,764 K 480 AVG Resident Shield Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.

(Verified) AVG Technologies CZ
avgnsx.exe 1,856 K 5,752 K 2348 AVG Online Shield Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. (Verified) AVG

Technologies CZ
avgidsagent.exe 29,272 K 30,700 K 360 AVG Identity Protection Service AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.

(Verified) AVG Technologies CZ
avgemcx.exe 1,684 K 5,416 K 2480 AVG E-mail Scanner AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. (Verified) AVG

Technologies CZ
avgcsrvx.exe 12,652 K 33,712 K 544 AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part AVG Technologies CZ,

s.r.o. (Verified) AVG Technologies CZ
aspnet_state.exe 2,072 K 4,804 K 180 Microsoft ASP.NET State Server Microsoft Corporation

(Verified) Microsoft Corporation
ArcNameService.exe 752 K 2,236 K 2568 ArcNameService Application Smith Micro Software, Inc.

(Verified) Smith Micro Software
alg.exe 1,600 K 4,392 K 112 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation (No signature was present in the subject) Microsoft Corporation

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
See if you can right click on the unknown device and Disable it.

Are you using Carbonite? (This is a cloud based backup service that you have to pay for) If not, uninstall it.

Also uninstall Spybot S&D.

Finally let's try a new anti-virus (unless you are paying for AVG). Download the free version of Avast:

http://www.avast.com/index
Click on Download then choose the free version.
Uncheck the Chrome browser and the Google Toolbar foistware before downloading/installing. Save the file but don't install yet.

Download and save the AVG removal tool
http://download.avg....6_2011_1184.exe

Uninstall AVG

Run the Avg Remover

Reboot.

Run the Avast installer.

Reboot. (Note the times. Any change?)

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Wow, I had no idea AVG was such a hog! Thank you!

Start-up time, from power-up to profile selection is down to 1:46 (first reported 2:45)

Form there, I'm online in 2:33 (first reported 2:45), but even though I was able to disable the Unknown Mouse Device, that nasty mouse works beyond the 2:33 mark and still wants to install as last reported. Here is a screenshot of all the data I have on this Unknown Device:

Unknown Device Detail.jpg

I do, incidentally, use only one mouse, so I presume I could uninstall the "known" items above that are "not connected to the computer." Is that right? (I use the 2nd HID-compliant mouse.)

I do use Carbonite. Do you recommend otherwise? (It is still installed.)

Spybot S&D is now uninstalled.

Avast! Online Security 9.0.2006.53 wants to install as an add-on to my Firefox. Should I allow that?

Any idea on that pesky "unknown" mouse—or anything else, by chance?

Thank you, Mr. Kinner!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If you use Carbonite then that's fine. (I prefer to have an external hard drive myself. Cheaper in the long run tho it should be disconnected except when backing up so a bit more trouble.)

Avast! Online Security 9.0.2006.53 wants to install as an add-on to my Firefox. Should I allow that?

Yes. It will just warn you if a website is suspicious. When you do a google search you will see green, red and orange marks to the right of each entry.

Not sure what to do with your bad mouse. Not sure how it even knows to look for it. Possibly something stuck in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Possibly something stuck in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root

You may have hit on something there, as shown in this match of the Device Instance ID to that very location of the Registry, but I wouldn't know how to address it. What might I do?

Device Instance ID Match .jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Sorry for the delay. Not sure what happened. You are the second person today that has gotten lost.

I think you can right click on the registry entry for PN0F03 select Export then save it somewhere you can find it again, doesn't matter what you call it say pn0f03 and it will save it as pn0f03.reg. Then right click on pn0f03 and Delete. Then reboot and see if it comes back. I wouldnot think it would hurt anything to do it that way. Then if it makes things worse you can always right click on pn0f03.reg and Merge to put it back.

Advertisements

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi, Mr. Kinner. Thank you for returning. I'm glad your departure was just a system fluke.

I am sorry, but the hope I raised in my last Reply was found in a different Registry location than the one you had noted. The matching data was found not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root, but rather in *\Hardware Profiles (not Root). Nonetheless, I did the export/reboot process you suggested, but the problem remained. There was no change in start-up, so I merged the exported Key back in.

An accurate search, this time, for 4&3a2c8c4b&0, found nothing in the designated Registry branch, but several elsewhere; too many to list. A few, though, did encourage me with what looked to be Logitech Mouse references in either the Key Names or associated values, like the "LMouFlt2" or the "Mouclass" you see in the second and third Key Names shown below. The problem is, I don't know what to do with this information. Do you think it would be safe to conduct the same export/reboot process for each or any of these findings, and are there certain Keys I should not touch?

Findings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ACPI\PNP0F03\4&3a2c8c4b&0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LMouFlt2\Enum

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Mouclass\Enum

Edited by JIm Andersen, 11 November 2013 - 09:50 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Should be. It's just a mouse so if it doesn't work you can use the keyboard

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Some success.

Deleting those three Keys did not help, so—long story short—I deleted three others (all at once) that then changed the mouse-error messages from something like "Logitech" to a generic "mouse," which was encouraging, so I kept these keys deleted:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PS2_MOUSE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*pnp0f03

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*pnp0f13
(pnp0f13 was listed as an Alternate ID of the Unknown Device)

I then tried uninstalling the Unknown Device, but it kept coming back, so I simply Disabled it and am no longer asked to install the mouse. (It does still appear in Device Manager.)

• Did I do okay?
I also deleted 413 fonts once used in business, but that did necessarily speed things up.

In System Configuration Utility, I removed just a few start-up items for applications I am familiar with.

In the end, the start-up time is slightly improved from what was last 1:46+2:33. It is now 1:39+2:25.

• At one point, with my mouse not loaded and me working only with the keyboard, and then as a new window suddenly blocked my view, I inadvertently changed a setting on the screen below but I do not know which setting. Do the settings look right here, or not?

msconfig screen .jpg

• On its BOOT.INI tab, you once had me select the /BOOTLOG Boot option. Am I to keep that option, or was that for diagnostic purposes only? The /BOOTLOG option is still selected.
We have made some improvements and I appreciate your help to get where we are. Thank you. With that, is this the end of the road—or do you have other steps in mind?

Edited by JIm Andersen, 13 November 2013 - 02:25 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
If the mouse still works then it's probably OK.

No need for the boot log any more so I think you can just tell msconfig to do a Normal Startup.

It's best to uninstall anything you don't need rather than stop it with msconfig.

There is one other troubleshooting technique but it takes a long time and the logs are so big that they can't be sent via the forum. Perhaps you can look at the logs and see if you see where it is taking a lot of time or getting errors and then just do a screen shot of that part of the log?

Download Process Monitor http://live.sysinter...com/Procmon.exe

Save it to your desktop
Run Process Monitor then under Options, click Enable Boot Logging. Close Process Monitor and reboot.

Open Process Monitor and it should tell you it has a boot log for you to look at.

JIm Andersen

JIm Andersen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes, it is a BIG file, with what appears to be about a 20% error rate, and I may need to study the log a few times to best determine where to take screen shots; what would be most helpful. Meanwhile, let me summarize the findings:

• There are several segments with sections that appear to repeat over and over; sections mixed with "Success" and "Name Not Found". One section of perhaps 20 lines or so, for instance, repeated itself 128 times or more, but still ended after less than two seconds. There were several such segments like that, so I wouldn't know which segment to hone in on.
  • Other than that, what appear to be errors (as in "Name Not Found" notations) is well interspersed with Successes and runs through nearly the entire log
  • There were a few longer strings of SUCCESS, but they were rare and really not so long.
So, it may be DAYS until I make some sense of this, if I am to, but I wanted you to know I'm on the case.

Thank you for your continued guidance.