Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS will not open [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs I cannot to get into safe mode.I went to keyboard properties in control panel and selected hardware.This is what it states under hardware it is a dell keyboard.

Thanks Phillip

Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration (in the registry)is incomplete or damaged. (code 19)

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
It sounds like you are able to boot Windows into normal mode. Is that correct?

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs you are correct I can boot normal with the mouse working

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
edit

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Good deal :) When Avast got uninstalled it left behind some remnants of the program...in the file folders and the Registry. Evidently the registry values,data didn't get removed when the program was uninstalled and therefore is still looking for the Avast keyboard driver file that we removed in the last OTL fix. I want to restore the computer to the restore point that OTL made before the last fix and that should put the file back.

• Click the Start button Posted Image button, type System Restore in the Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs section at the top of the list (type your password or provide confirmation if prompted). Then follow the steps in the wizard. NOTE: Some times it takes a few minutes for the system Restore Wizzard to appear.

Posted Image
  • The Recommended restore: box should have the following restore point listed:

6/30/2013 (the time) OTL Restore Point
  • If that restore point is the recommended restore point, click the radio button beside Recommended restore: and click the Next button.

System Restore asks you to confirm your restore point and warns you that rolling back to a restore point requires a restart of the computer.
  • Click Finish.
System Restore will chug a bit and then restart your computer to finish the job. Don’t unplug your computer during the restore or attempt to cancel it after you start the restore—that could cause even more problems. After your computer restarts, you’ll see a notification stating that System Restore has restored your computer to the date and time you chose.

Hopefully, You will have a functioning keyboard again.

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi godawgs is there another way to get to system restore as I cannot type on my computer.

Thanks
Phillip

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

hi godawgs is there another way to get to system restore as I cannot type on my computer.

:blush: Well just call me stoopid :wacko: It's not like you hadn't told me that....more than one time :whistling: I''m really sorry about that.
Try this:

Click the Start button. Put the mouse pointer over All Programs. The programs list will populate.
Find the Accessories folder and click it to open it.
Click the System Tools folder to open it.
Click System Restore and click the Continue or Allow button on the UAC window. the System Restore Wizard will open.

IF the Recommended restore: is the 6/30/2013 (time) OTL Restore Point that we discussed earlier follow the directions given above.

IF the Recommended restore: is NOT the OTL Restore Point, click the radio button beside Choose a different restore point and click the Next button.
A page will open listing more restore points. Click the 6/30/2013 OTL Restore Point to highlight it and then click the Next button.
Confirm your choice, click the Finish button and wait for System Restore to do it's thing and reboot the computer.

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi godawgs: I did not have any luck with the restore point.No change on the keyboard

System restore did not complete Successfully.
Your computer system files and settings were not changed.

Details:System restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point.
Source %System Root%\registration
Destination: ComPlusStaging

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
OK, let's try a System: Scheduled Checkpoint. Open System Restore again and click the radio button beside Choose a different restore point and click the Next button. A list of the restore points fore the last five days will open up. Look for a System: Scheduled Checkpoint. If one is there and it is before 10/28/2013 click it to highlight it and click the Next button and then confirm your selection and click the Finish button.

If there isn't a System: Scheduled Checkpoint listed click the box beside Show restore points older than 5 days. Find a System: Scheduled Checkpoint restore point, highlight it and click the Next button. Confirm your choice and click Finish.

Let me know what happens.

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi godawgs I opened System restore and the only one listed is the 10/30/13 7:58PM.I then checked on Show more restore points. New box opens but the only one to come up is the 10/30/13 7:58PM. No action taken on my part will wait for your thoughts

Thanks
Phillip

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
And is that 10/30/2013 restore point is the one you already tried?

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs yes that is the only one showing up and yes i did try that one.

Thanks
Phillip

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi,

I never did ask. What was the problem with booting into Safe Mode?
Further research shows cases where the uninstallation of Avast did not remove some upperfilters data in some registry keys. And then when the aswKbd.sys driver is deleted the Registry can't find it any longer.

Avast makes a removal tool for situations like this but it needs to be run from Safe Mode.

In the mean time let's get a look at a couple of registry keys. This scan will produce a very short log. Please read the instructions carefully as I have changed the settings.

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan

1. Please copy the text in the Quote box below, (Do Not copy the word Quote), and paste it in the Posted Image box in OTL. To do that:
  • Highlight everything inside the quote box, (except the word Quote), right click the mouse and click Copy.

createrestorepoint
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 /s

2. Re-open Posted Imageon the desktop. To do that:
  • Vista / 7 Users: Right click on the icon and click Run as Administrator)
Make sure all other windows are closed.
  • You will see a console like the one below:

Posted Image
  • Click the greyed out None button at the top of the console<---VERY IMPORTANT
  • Don't click any other boxes that aren't checked by default.
  • Place the mouse pointer inside thePosted Image box, right click and click Paste. This will put the above script inside OTL
  • Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so.
  • Let the scan run uninterrupted.
  • When the scan completes, it will open OTL.Txt. This file is also saved in the same location as OTL (it should be on your desktop).
  • Please copy the contents of this file and paste it into your reply. To do that:
  • On the OTL.txt file Menu Bar click Edit then click Select All. This will highlight the contents of the file. Then click Copy.
  • Right click inside the forum post window then click Paste. This will paste the contents of the OTL.txt file in the in the post window.

Things For Your Next Post:
Please post the logs in the order requested. Do Not attach the logs unless I request it.
The new OTL.txt log

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs thanks again for the time and effort the log is to follow.

Phillip

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
OTL logfile created on: 11/02/13 8:44:03 AM - Run 6
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Users\SHawn\Desktop
Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Version = 6.1.7601) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.10.9200.16721)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: MM/dd/yy

2.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1.40 Gb Available Physical Memory | 69.79% Memory free
4.00 Gb Paging File | 3.15 Gb Available in Paging File | 78.71% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): ?:\pagefile.sys [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 135.22 Gb Total Space | 31.79 Gb Free Space | 23.51% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 97.65 Gb Total Space | 28.59 Gb Free Space | 29.27% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Computer Name: PHILLIP | User Name: SHawn | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: Current user
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: Off | File Age = 30 Days

CREATERESTOREPOINT
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point

========== Custom Scans ==========

< HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 /s >

< HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 /s >

< End of report >