Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS will not open [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
You are welcome. You didn't answer my question about what, if any, message or error you got when you tried to boot into Safe Mode.
Well that wasn't what I expected. But it's because I screwed up the search term. Could you please run the OTL scan again using the same settings, but copy/paste the text below into the Custom Scans/Fixes box:

createrestorepoint
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318] /s
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318] /s

Advertisements

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
gowdawags I do not know how to boot into safe mode without the keyboard if there is a way to do it with my mouse I cannot find out.log to follow

Thanks Phillip

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
OTL logfile created on: 11/02/13 1:38:53 PM - Run 7
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Users\SHawn\Desktop
Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (Version = 6.1.7601) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.10.9200.16721)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: MM/dd/yy

2.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1.25 Gb Available Physical Memory | 62.46% Memory free
4.00 Gb Paging File | 2.95 Gb Available in Paging File | 73.69% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): ?:\pagefile.sys [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 135.22 Gb Total Space | 35.51 Gb Free Space | 26.26% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 97.65 Gb Total Space | 28.59 Gb Free Space | 29.27% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive H: | 1.91 Gb Total Space | 1.81 Gb Free Space | 94.46% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT

Computer Name: PHILLIP | User Name: SHawn | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: Current user
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: Off | File Age = 30 Days

CREATERESTOREPOINT
Restore point Set: OTL Restore Point

========== Custom Scans ==========

< [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318] /s >

< [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318] /s >

< End of report >
OTL logfile created on: 11/02/13 1:38:53 PM - Run 7
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: MM/dd/yy

2.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1.25 Gb Available Physical Memory | 62.46% Memory free
4.00 Gb Paging File | 2.95 Gb Available in Paging File | 73.69% Paging File free

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 135.22 Gb Total Space | 35.51 Gb Free Space | 26.26% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 97.65 Gb Total Space | 28.59 Gb Free Space | 29.27% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive H: | 1.91 Gb Total Space | 1.81 Gb Free Space | 94.46% Space Free | Partition Type: FAT

Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: Off | File Age = 30 Days

CREATERESTOREPOINT

< [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318] /s >

< [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318] /s >

< End of report >

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
So you don't have any keyboard function in Safe Mode either. I was hoping that Windows only loaded the base keyboard driver in Safe Mode.
God, you are gonna hate me for this but the scan didn't produce what it should have...again. I know the registry key is there. And I think it's the key that holds the data we need to change. But OTL requires that you list registry keys two different ways. One for a scan and another way for a fix. And I get them confused more than I should. Let's try it one more time. I tried this on my machine so it should work.

Posted Image OTL Custom Scan

1. Please copy the text in the Quote box below, (Do Not copy the word Quote), and paste it in the Posted Image box in OTL. To do that:
  • Highlight everything inside the quote box, (except the word Quote), right click the mouse and click Copy.

createrestorepoint
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /s

2. Re-open Posted Imageon the desktop. To do that:
  • Vista / 7 Users: Right click on the icon and click Run as Administrator)
Make sure all other windows are closed.
  • You will see a console like the one below:

Posted Image
  • Click the greyed out None button at the top of the console<---VERY IMPORTANT
  • Don't click any other boxes that aren't checked by default.
  • Place the mouse pointer inside thePosted Image box, right click and click Paste. This will put the above script inside OTL
  • Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so.
  • Let the scan run uninterrupted.
  • When the scan completes, it will open OTL.Txt. This file is also saved in the same location as OTL (it should be on your desktop).
  • Please copy the contents of this file and paste it into your reply. To do that:
  • On the OTL.txt file Menu Bar click Edit then click Select All. This will highlight the contents of the file. Then click Copy.
  • Right click inside the forum post window then click Paste. This will paste the contents of the OTL.txt file in the in the post window.
Please post the OTL.txt log in your next reply

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs I cannot get into safe without my keyboard if you know a way to get there let me know. I have tried copy and paste in the start box but that does not work. log is to follow.Ps I think you are doing a great job for me.

Thanks Phillip

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
OTL logfile created on: 11/03/13 8:09:20 AM - Run 8

2.00 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1.39 Gb Available Physical Memory | 69.46% Memory free
4.00 Gb Paging File | 3.10 Gb Available in Paging File | 77.54% Paging File free

Drive C: | 135.22 Gb Total Space | 35.57 Gb Free Space | 26.30% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

CREATERESTOREPOINT

< HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /s >
"Class" = Keyboard
"ClassDesc" = @%SystemRoot%\System32\SysClass.Dll,-3002 -- [2010/11/20 08:21:27 | 000,198,144 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation)
"" = Keyboards
"Installer32" = SysClass.Dll,KeyboardClassInstaller -- [2010/11/20 08:21:27 | 000,198,144 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation)
"IconPath" = %SystemRoot%\System32\setupapi.dll,-3 [binary data] -- [2010/11/20 08:21:14 | 001,667,584 | ---- | M] (Microsoft Corporation)
"UpperFilters" = aswKbdkbdclass [binary data]
"NoInstallClass" = 1
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000]
"LocationInformationOverride" = plugged into keyboard port
"InfPath" = keyboard.inf
"InfSection" = STANDARD_Inst
"ProviderName" = Microsoft
"DriverDateData" = 00 80 8C A3 C5 94 C6 01 [binary data]
"DriverDate" = 6-21-2006
"DriverVersion" = 6.1.7601.17514
"MatchingDeviceId" = *pnp0303
"DriverDesc" = Standard PS/2 Keyboard
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\Properties]

< HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /s >

< End of report >

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Yep, the third time is the charm. Please download the attached export.bat file and save it to the desktop.

Right click the export.bat file and click Run as Administrator. OK any UAC prompts you might get.
A Command window will open briefly and then close. This is normal.
A couple of seconds after he Command window closes there should be a new file placed on the desktop named kboard.reg
Attach that file to your next post.

Click this link for directions on how to upload and attachment.
NOTE:There is a small addition to these instructions.
After you click the Attach This File button and the file appears in the Attachments title bar, there will be a blue link to the right of the file (Add to Post|Delete)
Click the Add To Post link and your file will be attached to your post.

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs hope the attachment is good till later.

Thanks Phillip

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Attached File  kboard.reg   2.22KB   165 downloads

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Thanks for the file. I see the culprit. I am cobbling together a registry file to correct it. I will post that asap.
I don't know why the Avast antivirus program felt the need to take control of the keyboard. But once they had made that decision you would think that uninstalling the program would change the registry value back to what it was originally. But noooo...., like many other antivirus programs they leave little land mines on the system so that when you remove the files their uninstaller left behind it borks something on the system. Then you have to go on an easter egg hunt :tazz: Ain't malware removal fun?

I'll be back.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi Phillip,

Sorry about the late reply. Something personal came up. I want to see if we can reset the keyboard drive without editing the registry file. I want to know what's in the Keyboard section of Device Manager.

Open the Device Manager

• Click the Start Orb.
  • Right click on Computer and click Properties, then click OK or Continue on any UAC prompt you get. The System screen will open.
  • Under Tasks in the left column, click Device Manager. The Device Manager window will open.

Posted Image
  • Click the + beside Keyboards.
  • Do you have more than the Standard PS/2 Keyboard listed there?
  • Do any of the drivers have a red X or yellow question mark or exclamation point?

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs I only have one device under the keyboard heading standard ps/2 with a yellow triangle with an exclamation in the middle.

Thanks Phillip

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello,

Please open the Device Manager again. Click the + arrow beside Keyboards. Then right click the Standard PS/2 keyboard that has the yellow exclamation point and click Uninstall. That should remove the Avast keyboard driver data from the Registry.

Reboot the computer. That should cause Windows to reinstall the standard Windows keyboard driver and put the proper information back into the Registry.

After the computer has been rebooted the keyboard function should be restored.

phillip245

phillip245

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
godawgs no luck with the uninstall.

This is what comes up after the reboot still got the yellow exclamation.

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Thanks Phillip

PS Tried the keyboard on another machine it works ok.