Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New PC build - fans power on, then nothing...

• Please log in to reply

Pwally705

Pwally705

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi All,

Looking for some help. I just assembled a new gaming PC, this is the first computer I've put together in like 15 years, so lots has changed. Anyways as far as I can see everything is connected correctly, according to my motherboard manuals instructions... When I try to power it on, the mobo lights up, fans spin for a second or two, then nothing, except mobo lights remain on. No video siganl, etc. etc. I've tried disconnecting everything except the PSU, Memory, And CPU Fan, same result. Ive tried 1 stick of memory, same result. Tried other stick only, same result. Made sure the memory slots were the proper ones to be used. Also tried popping out the little circular battery for a minute and popping it back in. Same result. Not sure what else I can try...Im thinking bad PSU???

Specs are:
PSU - Corsair TX750
Intel i5 4670k @ Stock
Asus Maximus Gene VI
Patriot Viper PC3-12800 1600MHz - 2x8gb Dimms
Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb HDD
Samsung Evo 250 GB Ssd
No Video Card Yet.

Thanks guys! Any Help would be very much appreciated ;)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Pwally705, Posted Image
Check that the second 12v cable, 8-pin EATX 12 V, top left of the board, is securely engaged in the socket.

If still no joy, possible short under the board, could be a loose bit of wire or a screw. Could be stand off. Are you 100% sure they matched exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the MB, no extra ones.

Do you have an internal mini system speaker installed?

Edit.
Also chick that the CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header on the MB and not any other one.

Pwally705

Pwally705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi! Thanks for your reply,

I've confirmed the 12v cable, 8-pin EATX 12 V was securely plugged in. Same result..

The short under the board would make sense, I found the screws intended to hold the mobo in were not working well, so i used some different ones, not much different, anyways I didnt use a screw in each hole,( probably put in 6 of 9 screws for mobo screw holes) but each screw i did put in is pretty tight, causing the mobo to flex slightly (wanted it to be secure and i dont think i broke anything by going to tight) no internal speakers that i have heard as of yet...CPU fan is indeed connected to correct header...

UGh...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
To sort the issue you really do have to go back to a basic bare bones test.
Disconnect power, > take anti static measure, > disconnect everything, . remove all complainants except the CPU/heatsink and fan.
> remove the MB from the case and place on a piece of cardboard, a little larger than the board. > connect the two power cable to the MB,and ensure the CPU fan is still connected.
If present, press the Power button on the MB or use a small bladed screw driver to short out the powoer on pins on the front header panel socket.
The PSU and CPU fans should start and keep going.

not looked at your manual yet but there should be a row of diagnostic lights, what do they show?

Pwally705

Pwally705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, will try that right now.

The mobo is showing Q-Code: 14 (Pre-Memory CPU Initialization is Started)

Pwally705

Pwally705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried taking mobo out of chassis, and connected only cpu/fan and two mobo power cables,(also i noticed that ram dimms were not 100 percent pushed into thier slots and clicked in a little further) the cpu stayed on for the first time, and the Q-code read through several codes, stopping on code # 99 (Super IO Initialization) ??? put mobo back in chassis and only connected cpu/fan and 20 pin and 8 pin power connectors again, this time code stops on code 14 again, but this time kept restarting and stopping on code 14 ((Pre-Memory CPU Initialization is Started) over and over non stop... ;(

Pwally705

Pwally705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay so this is wierd. I've determined that the only way I can boot to the Bios is if I unscrew the mobo from the chassis and just let it sit like that in the case. Which suggests that the pressure caused from screwing in the mobo is causing a short somewhere? Also it takes two attempts for the PC to boot to Bios. And the first time it booted to Bios it reported a CPU fan error. The next couple times no CPU fan error reported...

NO idea whats going on here, lol...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Not the best but some progress. Yes, flexing the board could have caused damage.
Sorry that questions may be a bit inane and not doubting your competence in any way, but have to cover every angle. Leave the board on the cardboard for the moment.
Did you change the I/O shield in the case for the one in the MB box?
Please check the clear CMOS jumper is on the correct pins, sometimes gets missed off or installed wrong on the assemble line.
Inspect the CPU cooler locking tabs on the back of the MB, they should be the same length and locking tabs fully visible

What case do you have?
What exactly was the problem with the screws and standoffs? missing a couple of screws and tightening the rest should not have flexed the board.
Did you check the number and pattern of the stardoffs?
Did they all come with the MB? are they all exactly the same type and hight?

stopping on code # 99 (Super IO Initialization) ???

Looking for attached devices, keyboard, mouse, drives.

We may loose time sinc as I am in Australia, will be about for another 6/7 hours.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Seeing that you got different codes in and out of the case suggests you got a shorting in the case. The motherboard should not be flexed at all if installed properly. You must use all standoffs as there are holes for it. No more no less for it to work properly.

Pwally705

Pwally705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys,

So please to don't cringe too much here as this was a total noob mistake. But i actually did realize what the standoffs were when i first saw them, i just thought they were motherboard screws preinstalled, so i took them out and tried to use them to screw the mobo directly to the case (ouch, i know now) that didnt work so i simply used different screws, but yeah i tottally flexed the board alot and it makes me cringe just thinking about it, I don't think I did too much damage though cause everything works out of the case, I finally clued in to what the standoffs were righ before i went to bed, I will resintall mobo with standoffs right now, and report back if any further problems, thanks anyways guys for your help, this site is an awesome resource.

Pwally705

Pwally705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys,

So please to don't cringe too much here as this was a total noob mistake. But i actually did realize what the standoffs were when i first saw them, i just thought they were motherboard screws preinstalled, so i took them out and tried to use them to screw the mobo directly to the case (ouch, i know now) that didnt work so i simply used different screws, but yeah i tottally flexed the board alot and it makes me cringe just thinking about it, I don't think I did too much damage though cause everything works out of the case, I finally clued in to what the standoffs were righ before i went to bed, I will resintall mobo with standoffs right now, and report back if any further problems, thanks anyways guys for your help, this site is an awesome resource.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image I do hope a trace is not cracked, mistakes are easy to make, I filled my cars 80lt petrol tank with diesel, only dawned on me because the price was about $30 more than usual. Now that was a real mess.

I would try the build outside the case, including the HDD and boot to the BIOS, let it run for half an hour, then keep resetting about 20 times, one after the other and if you don't have problems, then install to the case. It will need a bit of a stress test once you have it fully up and running.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Hey guys,

Don't feel bad mate as I did the very same thing (I was a noob then). The clue was that the cards wouldn't seat all the way and also noticed that the motherboard wasn't flat. The case did have dimples on the bottom and I thought that the board sits on 'em. The dimples were for the standoffs. Well duh.