Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME troubles...please help!

• Please log in to reply

katet2004

katet2004

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

I'm desperate and hoping for some help. My computer (running Windows ME) crashed recently, and after rebooting, most of my icons were gone. The real problem however, is that I cannot access the start menu (it just freezes when I attempt to) and there is nothing showing in the "My Computer" window when opened. As a result of this, I am unable to access any of my programs.

I have started the computer in safe mode, but still cannot access the start menu. The only thing I seem to be able to bring up is the search menu (using the F3 key).

I also tried booting the computer with the ME disk in it but nothing happened.

I have since bought a new computer, but I NEED to retrieve some files and pictures from my old hard drive. I can only access these files when in safe mode, and then only by searching.

3 things to keep in mind when answering my query; I am a novice computer user (go easy on me!), I cannot access the internet so downloading a fix will not help, and I do not have a boot floppy.

Anyone have any idea??

Edited by katet2004, 08 June 2005 - 12:57 PM.

Advertisements

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
hello was there any spyware or viruses on the old HD?

katet2004

katet2004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Not that I know of. i was using adaware as well as Norton Antivirus. Norton had been giving me problems however.

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
ok i would make SURE there were no viruses there then take the hd out of the comp and stick it in other comp and search with other comp. go to the malaware forum for directions on how to get rid of malaware :tazz: i would buy a crossover ethernet cable and hook up the comp and stranfer through that but i dont think you can do that with those problems it also sounds like you have a virus that cause those problems go to malaware forum plz ;)

katet2004

katet2004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but as a novice computer user, I don't feel comfortable taking out my hard drive. I also don't know for sure that I did not have a virus.

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
i was the same way with my comp about 3 years ago so i understand

go to the malaware forum and make sure there is no virus and then try getting ethernet crossover cable and then try sending th files over that :tazz: ;)