Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering retrieved files with additional extension name SPF0

• Please log in to reply

georgeblues

georgeblues

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently lost some files in my folder so I got a data recovery software to fix that but when the files were recovered,they have the extension "spf0" next to their original extension...for example "anyfile.jpg.spf0"

I have tried renaming the files but when I open them, nothing appears... no error messages or anything... when I check the properties for the files, the size is there and the file type is also back to normal..but I cant preview the content

Before losing the files I hid in a folder using a software named LOCK.exe.

Is there a way I can fix this?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi georgeblues,

See if this helps. Try moving the file back to it's original location for when it was locked. The contents of the file are encrypted which includes the original folder/file path.

Donna :)

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Donna,

Thanks for replying. The thing is, the files were originally hidden in a folder I created, which I named "autorun.inf" (I used this also to prevent a virus, with the same name, from installing) and encrypted it using an old program Lock.exe.

I used "UsbFix Faire un Don" later to remove a script data hiding my files in my USB drive. It did it's job as a result but it also replaced the "autorun.inf" folder from my hard drive, interpreted it as a virus and vaccinated it, and deleted all the hidden contents.

Could there still be a way to recover my files?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm? Only thing that I can think of is to think backwards here.

Tossing out some thoughts.............

Did you try to replace the file to it's original location before UsbFix vaccinated it?

Is UsbFix still installed on your computer? Does it have a quarantine folder anywhere in the User Interface of the program where you can choose to restore the file to it's original location?

Still thinking..........

georgeblues

georgeblues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No, I did not try to replace the file to it's original location before UsbFix vaccinated it.
It hasn't been deleted yet before I applied UsbFix. It was just encrypted and hidden then.

UsbFix is no longer installed in my computer. In fact, after recovering the file, or so I thought, and saved it to a different drive, I formatted drive C thereby removing UsbFix, the quarantine folder, and basically all the files in drive C.