Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Get 2nd Monitor to Display on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Windows 7 is not recognizing my second monitor. What info do I need to post to get help besides the web address below?

http://speccy.pirifo...S2IIVHBanlZexZN

Edited by Quartz, 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Quartz

Your video card has the following ports DVI x 1 (DVI-I) HDMI x 1 and x 1 Display Port, can I ask which port you have used to connect the second display, please note that if you have used the HD 6550D video port then it will not work.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thanks for getting back to me, but I now have a serious problem with my computer. My friend was here for a week with her boys, ages 7 & 12. I don't know what they did to my computer b/c it won't even come on. I have tried several times to repair it with my Repair Disk & am now getting this message: Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Insert your Windows installation disc & restart your computer. Can't boot into windows 7 Status: 0xc000000f

I don't know the Log On password of the person who built the computer & I couldn't find that it even recognizes me as a User. What to do now? I have worked on it for so many hours that I feel like taking my .357 to it!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for getting back to me, but I now have a serious problem with my computer. My friend was here for a week with her boys, ages 7 & 12. I don't know what they did to my computer b/c it won't even come on. I have tried several times to repair it with my Repair Disk & am now getting this message: Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Insert your Windows installation disc & restart your computer. Can't boot into windows 7 Status: 0xc000000f

I don't know the Log On password of the person who built the computer & I couldn't find that it even recognizes me as a User. What to do now? I have worked on it for so many hours that I feel like taking my .357 to it!!

Have you tried tapping the F8 key when you restart the computer, if not please do so and let us know what happens.

Ensure that your HDD is on the list of boot devices and is enabled in the BIOS;

To check or change the Boot Sequence in the BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the appropriate button that allows you to access the BIOS (Esc - Del – F2 etc)
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to DVD/ CD drive
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit.
Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Yes, I did all of that. On my system, F2 opens the BIOS settings & F8 opens Press any key to boot from CD, Repair, Reinstall, etc. I tried this several times....and even tried System Restore, which gave me lots of date options, but when that failed, there were no more date options.

There was a reply on here from another person yesterday, but it's gone today. I had never heard of the info, so I did not try it. I found the post (deleted for some reason??) under his/her Username. This is it:

Hardware > Hardware, Components and Peripherals > How to Get 2nd Monitor to Display on Windows 7
#2345149 User is online Sub
PipPip
Add as Friend PM this member
Group:Member

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 PM
Unplug your PC then remove the battery (small rounded one) in your Motherboard then return it back plug-in to the wall your PC and try to insert again your Windows 7.

So, what do you think I should do now? What makes me so mad is that it was just last week I was asking you about buying an external HD to put my backups on. Also, I can't believe I made a Repair Disk & not a Password Recovery on a USB AND did not write the Product Key down when I ran Belarc Advisor!! Oh well....any suggestions? :confused:

Edited by Quartz, 30 October 2013 - 06:05 PM.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I found the Product Key sticker for my computer. Is this going to help any as far as getting it to boot up?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Yes, I did all of that. On my system, F2 opens the BIOS settings & F8 opens Press any key to boot from CD, Repair, Reinstall, etc. I tried this several times....and even tried System Restore, which gave me lots of date options, but when that failed, there were no more date options.

Did you try Safe Mode.
Is the boot order set in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is first and the HDD second.

There was a reply on here from another person yesterday, but it's gone today. I had never heard of the info, so I did not try it. I found the post (deleted for some reason??)

The post was made invisible by myself as it had no relevance to the computer problem/s that you are having, pulling the MBs CMOS battery will restore the motherboards default factory settings but it will not fix a damaged operating system or a HDD that may have mechanical or electrical issues, above and beyond the aforementioned there was no consideration made for a persons health and safety - it should never be suggested that a person opens up their computer without first establishing that they are both confident and competent to do so and/or also providing factual and easy to follow guidance.

So, what do you think I should do now? What makes me so mad is that it was just last week I was asking you about buying an external HD to put my backups on. Also, I can't believe I made a Repair Disk & not a Password Recovery

We cannot help you with anything password related but have you tried leaving the password field blank or tried entering the word admin.

If a password is required then your options are to contact the person who has the password or taking the computer to a local tech/store and have them sort it for you, you will need proof of ownership such as an invoice and an ID that has your picture on it such as a passport or driving licence + your address.

I found the Product Key sticker for my computer. Is this going to help any as far as getting it to boot up?

This will not help with the computer being password protected and depending on the type of disk that you have will determine whether or not a full format and fresh installation of the OS is possible.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I figured out that there is NO password set for the original user (person who built computer) by just pressing Enter when I was on the screen that has the options System Restore, Command Prompt, etc. Can't believe I didn't think of doing this before.

I have attached the files that someone on another website had me run on a USB drive, but he did not know why it would not boot up after doing everything he recommended. You can see all that he had me fix on one of the files.

Before going to another forum, this is the information I got when trying to get it to boot:

I ran DISKPART > list volume, & it shows all my drives with the status being healthy.

I ran chkdsk and there are no problems. The message at the bottom was: Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

I also got this message at one point:

Problem Signature 01 & 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200384
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 18
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I think the problem is that my computer is not booting from the correct drive, or the drive letters got switched somehow, but I am not sure. When I ran the "list volume" it looks like all my files are there as far as the one that contains Windows, the drive that the backups are on, the CD Rom drive, etc. When I ran a DIR on the drive that contains Windows, I think I could run Windows from there if I knew the DOS command that would do it, if Windows can be started from DOS commands. Hope all this info helps you figure out what the problem is.

One more thing, should my SATA Configuration be IDE Mode, AHCI Mode, or RAID Mode? It is currently set on IDE MODE, which is what the manual for my Motherboard shows. Again, thank you for all your help!!!!

Attached Files

Edited by Quartz, 04 November 2013 - 01:46 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I figured out that there is NO password set for the original user (person who built computer) by just pressing Enter when I was on the screen that has the options System Restore, Command Prompt, etc. Can't believe I didn't think of doing this before.

As I thought <_< system builders do not tend to input their own passwords in order to avoid getting phone calls and emails from unhappy customers.

I have attached the files that someone on another website had me run on a USB drive, but he did not know why it would not boot up after doing everything he recommended. You can see all that he had me fix on one of the files.

It is not good practice to follow the guidance on more than one site, it can lead to confusion as to who`s guidance you are following and if something were to go wrong it could end up in a blame game, decide who`s help you wish to continue with and notify the other forum/s as a courtesy please.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thank you for replying. It looks like I am going to have to give up. I can't find anyone that knows how to repair it or get it to boot to Windows. I have tried every option that I know of plus a few suggested by another forum, but it's just not going to boot. I have an old hard drive on a computer that I haven't used in a long time. I am hoping to figure out how to hook it to this computer so I can get my files off that I don't want to lose. Other than this, I guess I will have to do a clean install. I don't have a disk, but I do have the product key, so I guess I have to contact Microsoft.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
To see if you can get your data off the present HDD try Puppy Linux;

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

As you have your Windows 7 product key you can download a Windows 7 ISO to a USB or burn it to disk, please see the following two links;

Windows 7 ISOs
Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I burned the CD, but it just boots my computer to a list of commands to choose from - certainly no pretty screen w/a puppy.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I burned the CD, but it just boots my computer to a list of commands to choose from - certainly no pretty screen w/a puppy.

Have you followed the Puppy instructions exactly.

What are the list of commands.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I have downloaded the lupu file 3 times, and every time it tells me there is an error in the file. I am going to try downloading the latest version, then follow your instructions. I hope this works. It's takes a long time to download that file for some reason.....2 hours. I will post an update as soon I know more. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:thumbsup: