Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing XP

• Please log in to reply

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I am installing XP Pro on my laptop because of a problem with lsass.exe. When setup gets to the point of detecting previously installed versions of windows I get a screen asking which partition to install windows on. It gives the option of installing on 28.5GB partition, installing on unpartitioned space (8MB), or deleting partition. I want to wipe the drive and start fresh. I know I can't install on unpartitioned space, but which of the other two should I choose? Is there another step to format the drive for a fresh install?

Advertisements

neil_1821

neil_1821

• Pip
  • 7 posts
There are two ways of doing this, i can't remeber which one to choose but just choose one and it will display a warning message saying it is unadvisable to install two operating systems. Click o.k and go back and choose the other option, that's the one you want. Sorry i couldn't be more specific.

Jolen98

Jolen98

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
get rid of both partions and then do the install i had the same thing that is what i did

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
hi,
delete partition then create another partition and format from there :tazz:

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
So I should choose to delete the partition and it will continue with the install? Never formatted a drive before, don't want to mess things up.

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Correct, just delte the 28gig partition and choose create. That will wipe the slate clean.. :tazz:

It will ask you as well, to format the drive.

Edited by blsimpson, 08 June 2005 - 01:28 PM.

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thanks

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
ok i understand your concern,
you do relize when you delete partition all info goes away for ever and its going to ask you what the new size of the partition should be keep it at whatever number come up. then it will ask you what you want to format with select ntfs and if there is select the ntfs quick :tazz:

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Yeah, I understand. I already pulled the drive out and got as much data off of it as I could (lost quite a bit already). I wish I had read your post before I started, I already chose the NTFS long format. Looks like it's going to take a while. Thanks for your help.

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
After formatting, some files are copied from the setuip disk and the computer restarts. When it gets back to the screen asking where to install, I still get the same options. When I choose the 28.5GB partition (which should be empty now, correct?), it tells me that I chose to install on a partition with an operating system installed. Should I just continue with the setup or did I do something wrong?

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
when the computer restarts, are you pressing any key when it says to boot from CD?

If you are, dont. Let it go through, and setup will resume...

tbomkamp

tbomkamp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Yes I did. That was dumb. Thanks.

blsimpson

blsimpson

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Its ok, a lot of people make that mistake...

Edited by blsimpson, 08 June 2005 - 03:04 PM.