Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Core i5-4670 Stock or Aftermarket Fan?

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I'm about to buy an Intel Core i5-4670 CPU and have been reading some of the reviews online. The only real complaint I see about the CPU is the inadequate CPU fan/heatsink that comes stock with the processor. Some reviews indicate excessive fan noise, others just an overall poor performance from the fan/heatsink.
Would I be better off buying a 3rd party/aftermarket cooling system and if so, what products might you recommend? I want to do this right from the get-go and not find myself removing the CPU after installation in order to install another fan/heatsink. Also, I would think 3rd party/aftermarket products are as easy to install as the stock offering, but not really sure about that. Should I be aware of any potential difficulties if I go that route? Thanks!

Edited by Webslinger64, 29 October 2013 - 01:02 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Hello Webslinger64

A very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;
This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.
Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;
damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;
Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

Give the stock HS and fan a chance and if it is no good or noisy complain to Intel and put the ball in their court.

Overclockers use aftermarket coolers because of the extra heat that is generated, your CPU is locked so no O/Cing = no extra heat :cool:

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hello Webslinger64

A very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty...Give the stock HS and fan a chance and if it is no good or noisy complain to Intel and put the ball in their court.

Overclockers use aftermarket coolers because of the extra heat that is generated, your CPU is locked so no O/Cing = no extra heat :cool:

Thank you for pointing that out. I certainly don't want to void the warranty. The i5-4670 is indeed locked and I have no plans to do any O/Cing. We'll see what happens after the build is complete.
Thanks phillpower2! :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
You are welcome Webslinger64 :thumbsup:

Some information that may help those who plan on O/Cing a new Intel CPU