Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can Windows 7 run faster?

• Please log in to reply

ArnavKumar

ArnavKumar

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I often delete all files and folders from my temp folder (%temp% in run) to run windows faster but i think something is wrong with that. I do not think that speed increases with this. It just can help a little bit does not make me satisfied. Is there anything else which i do not try?

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts
Hello :welcome:

For often cleaning temp files I can recommend you a small application: TFC by OldTimer. Here's the instruction:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop.
  • Double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running Vista or higher, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

To optimize Windows, we can also switch off some Startup programs.

Also take a look at your system drive: is there enough free space there?

Cheers :)
Naat

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It would help if you could add some details... do you feel that your computer is slower than it used to be? Or do you mean that it is presently running the same speed it always did but you want it to run faster? This makes a big difference in the advice you need. And as Naathim asked above, how big is your hard drive capacity and how much space is left?

Edited by ranchhand3, 30 October 2013 - 02:24 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Also, provide your computer specs:

Make and model
Processor(s) speed
How much ram
Hard drive size and how much free space

mcarchy

mcarchy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Try disk clean up and a defrag.
As for cleaners I found that some remove stuff that others miss and it's advisable to avoid anything that mess with the registry.
From personal experience I found ccleaner , %temp% and a defrag can do wonders.