Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC processing but Zero tasks?

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I was at my pc for a bit of fb time and then everything went slow. Got out of internet and still desktop items clicked on would not open but took ages.
Also task manager said nothing was running but I could hear the pc processing......What is this ?

It may have had something to do with an incident i had with ccleaner. It kept looping and never finished when wiping free space...some say there are files that need to be deleted but i just uninstalled cleaner and hope it picks them up when reinstalled?

Edited by ding dong, 30 October 2013 - 04:18 PM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Could be many things. Technically if your OS is running, it's always got some processes going on. Also it could have been updating something, hung up on a service, indexing, etc. So in other words, without a more detailed description or more information to go off - Hard to determine it. You could post a good MiniToolBox log and a good Autoruns by Sysinternals log, which we could look through if you wanted... However I don't know if we could pin point your exact issue on this instance.

Another thing you can look into is your Event Viewer logs for that time frame, for when you had the issue. See what was recorded, any errors, etc.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thanks, I updated office and it seems to be ok now but then i have queries on office 2013 as they have this load/add ins stuff going on that makes everything slow to open - never had that before in vista and now using 8.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
If you post those logs, we can see what's going on more. Also what is the remaining issue(s) or question(s)? I don't quite understand what's still unsolved/unanswered.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
a docment like word takes ages to open and it tells you that it is loading add ins....while you are waiting.....does word conect to the internet when I need it? I dont want it to do that....

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Open word. Once it's actually open, try opening a document by using the File > Open method. Does it still take forever? Or was that fast?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
if its a documant that has stuff already in it - its reasonably fast

a new blank doc however takes ages and takes me not to a document but a selection area where I choose my document

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Go into your control panel and go into your Programs and Features, find your Office installation and select the Repair option at the top of the window/list.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I have done the repair option and it does nothing to stop the add ins from loading - does my document connect to the internet when opening - this is rediculous?

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Why would your DOCUMENT connect to the internet if it's a local document? Your DOCUMENT wouldn't, however the program may.

Look through this page for some assistance on disabling added on extensions/add-ins. Disable as much as you can, see if it helps.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Why would a document connect when its local? Gee I dunno - why would my pc randomly connect to the internet when I have not instructed it to, why would a news service pop up randomly giving the days news and weather? maybe because I have windows 8?

The link you provided is windows 7 - i have 8 and i dont seem to have a microsoft office button?

Edited by ding dong, 07 November 2013 - 05:40 PM.