Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various Windows issues: Freezing during saving/opening, and slow sear

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
I just re installed Windows on this laptop about a month ago and from the beginning I started experiencing problems with it. The problems seemed to be related to Windows and not to any particular program. The PC is running Windows 7, 4Gb RAM, and 120 Gb SSD. Any help is appreciated! :help:

• When im saving or opening a Word documents, browsing to upload a file, the program freezes for about 10 seconds and then successfully saves the file. The computer freezes with any program attempting to open or save any file
  • When attempting to search for programs like CMD on the start menu, the search never completes. However, after like the third try the search finally finds the program.

Fixes attempted
  • Under Windows Features i have enabled Indexing services, and Windows search.
  • I have used the Find and fix problems with Windows search and it always says that no issues were found.
  • Set index service to Automatic
  • I have also rebuild the index with no luck.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, follow this guide for setting up the SSD for your system: Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs
PS: Please skip steps for installing the operating system and drivers of course, as I assume all of that has been done.

Once you've done that, reboot 2 times and see if issue persists. Post back acknowledging that it is or is not still an active issue.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hey PhrantiQ,

Thanks for the response and im glad to see that your also a GeekU Freshman :cool: .

Looking through the post you suggested when i did a little research on a few of those options i found that people actually gave the opposite advise. So i actually didn't do any of the fixes they showed cuz they didn't really pertain to my problem, i felt. However, are there any of them that you particularly think address my issue?

• Disable or Shrink System Protection
    • I like having system restore, it save me when ever I install a bad driver
  • Turn off drive indexing

• I need indexing cuz my files aren't loading fast :lol:

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
How interesting. Didn't even notice you're a Freshman. Either way, if you didn't want to follow advice that could be reversed, then we'll skip it.

How new/old is the drive and how much use has it had? Also have you tried doing anything as simple as a SFC or checking the OS out?

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
The drive is about a year and a half old and i would say the computer is on about seven hours everyday. I don't run any heavy application just Word and web browsing primarily. I have run SFC and it found a few issues but both problems precisest.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
So your OS has issues, possible corruption. You could look into something like Windows Repair (AIO - Portable) for running additional repairs. Also you may want to consider running the SSD through a test to see if it's at fault or losing valid space.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So I ran Tweaking windows last night but I haven't notice any improvement in performance. Tweaking widows also ran a SFC and it showed that not further problems where found with the OS. Is there a specific program to check my SSD or will chkdsk work fine?