Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ram upgrade compaq presario

• Please log in to reply

bjr1000

bjr1000

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi all,
Could anyone please advise me on the purchasing of ram sticks.
I have a Compaq presario cq60 with 1 gb of ram and intend to upgrade to 2 gb.
The seller states on the website that 90% of customers buy single pairs??

I was intending to buy a 2 gb stick and simply replace it for the existing 1 gb stick.

I am a bit confused now as which wat to go.

Thanks
rj

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday bjr1000.
A bit unusual to only have 1GB installed. You can find out what and how much is installed and get a recommendation on upgrade options by using the Crucial RAM tool. You do not have to buy from the site or actually use their brand. > http://www.crucial.c.../systemscanner/

You can do a cross check and get a how to install RAM on your notebook. There are heaps of the presario cq60 version, so go to this page, > http://h10025.www1.h...c=uk&dlc=en#N51
Left window, click on your model.
In the window that opens, you can use the menu on the left or, on right side, click your notebook name/model to get more options.

I think the model only has 2 DIMM slots, max memory would be 4GB. To be assured of compatibility when upgrading, where only 1 slot is occupied, remove that sick and keep as a spare, install 2 sticks of matching modules, (a kit). For the best result, I would install the max amount allowed.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks iam,
I will follow your instructions
rj

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image Please let us know how it goes.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I purchased the 2x 2g matched pair from Crucial giving me the maximum Ram for my laptop.

Performance is much improved.

Thanks for your guidance iamm

bj

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday bjr1000.
Glad that the extra RAM has improved your performance. Perform a little maintained to improve things further.
Uninstall any programs you no longer use.
look though the remaining ones and prevent those that you are not going to use straight away, from starting with window,
Use the windows clean up tools to get rid of temp, history, junk files.
Defrag the HDD.

Your welcome and thanks very much for updating your topic.

Good luck.