Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop slowed down with programs not working/opening as well as shut d

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Awesome! Clean logs, we love those here :) I have one more program for you to run to check for out of date programs. Then we'll run some cleanup after I see this log.

Also, you can head over the Hardware forum by clicking this link and they can help you with that corrupt HDD. :)

Download Security CheckPosted Image by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Advertisements

punky_one

punky_one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Brilliant, will check it out in a bit.

Here is the log you requested.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.76
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x86 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 7 Out of date!
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Antivirus
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
MVPS Hosts File
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
CCleaner
Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.117
Adobe Reader 10.1.8 Adobe Reader out of Date!
Mozilla Firefox 24.0 Firefox out of Date!
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Windows Defender MSASCui.exe
Spybot Teatimer.exe is disabled!
Windows Defender MSASCui.exe
Alwil Software Avast5 AvastSvc.exe
Alwil Software Avast5 AvastUI.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 1 %
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Alright, looks great! :thumbsup: Let's update some programs, then I'll remove my tools and then I have some information for you.

Step 1: Program Updates

Internet Explorer

Your Internet Explorer is out of date, please click here to go to Microsoft's page and download the latest version.

Adobe Reader

• Malware will exploit any vulnerabilities it can find in outdated software. If you are using Adobe Reader for reading pdf files, try using FoxIt Reader. It is a very capable alternative to Adobe.
  • Please click here to download FoxIt Reader.
  • If you wish to continue to use Adobe Reader, then please update it by clicking here.
  • Please remember to uncheck the option to install McAfee's Security Suite.

FireFox

Your Firefox web browser is out of date. The current version is 25.0. Please click on Help at the top of the browser then click About Firefox. Firefox will then update itself.

Keeping your software updated

There are several programs out there that can check for out of date programs on your computer. One is Secunia PSI, and another is Filehippo. You can run these on a weekly or monthly basis to check your programs for updates and then they will provide a link for you to download them.

Download Secunia PSI
Download Filehippo Updatechecker

Please remember to turn Spybot's TeaTimer back on. :)

Step 2: Delete Old Restore Points and Create a New One.

We're going to delete all your old restore points and create a new one that is free of infection. We do this so that in the event you need to do a System Restore, you will have clean restore point.

Start OTL and copy the text in the code box below.

Paste the text into the Custom Scans/Fixes box and click Run Fix.

:Files
%systemroot%\system32\vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet /c

:Commands
[CreateRestorePoint]

Step 3: Tool Removal

• You can delete aswMBR and Junkware Removal Tool from your desktop.
  • Start AdwCleaner and click the Uninstall button. AdwCleaner will clean out it's quarantine folder and then delete itself.
  • Start OTL and click the Cleanup button. OTL will clean out it's quarantine folder and then delete itself.
  • You can uninstall ESET Online Scanner at this time.
  • I personally recommend keeping MBAM installed. This program is a great defense against malware.

A few tips to help protect you:

Watch what you open in your emails. If you get an email from an unknown source with any attached files, do not open it.

Be careful of the websites you visit.

To help protect yourself while on the web, I recommend you read How did I get infected in the first place?

Are there any further issues remaining that I can help you with? :)

punky_one

punky_one

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have done all of ther above. The system is running great! Thankyou so much for your help!

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Outstanding! And you are very much welcome! If you need us again don't hesitate to come back. :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.