Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendation for installation with dual-boot

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Hello clearlyclearly

Many repairs were carried out to your OS so can I ask how things are with the computer at present.

If you did not receive any warning message it suggests that all repairs were carried out successfully but it would not do any harm to run SFC again.

You are welcome BTW clearlyclearly :)

Advertisements

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks so much philpower2.
I ran the SFC again, producing the attached log.
So can we now assume the computer is fine? I mean there don't appear to be any virus issues. At first we thought perhaps a rootkit but that was quickly dismissed by emeralnzl. I can just go on working as I was before all this happened and *hope* that a similar OS lockout doesn't occur again? I will surely install Ubuntu though as a dual boot.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   209.57KB   187 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
You are welcome clearlyclearly :)

After looking at your CBS log can I ask if your computer is configured for automatic updates, to ensure that it is please refer to the information Here, try the MS Fix it tool first please.

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi philpower2, thank you for your continued interest and support.

I don't have automatic updates on. I used to but it has caused so many issues in the past. Besides installing entirely optional and unwanted updates, there are more serious issues. Every now and then an update causes a serious and usually unfathomable issue - one that isn't obviously caused by an update. I've spent several days in the past trying to google for mysterious errors only to finally discover other users suffering from the same problems - caused by a Windows Update. So I turned off automatic updates and I periodically manually select updates to install.

My recent OS lockout was apparently not caused by a virus or rootkit, yet no cause was found. Various people have - perhaps ironically - suggested a Windows Update as the putative cause. I am prepared to reinstate automatic updates (which I've done via the Fix It option you linked, thank you), and then rely on restoring a system image should a problem occur. I've never really understood system restore and restore points. Do they actually work?

Finally, am I as safe as can be from future OS lockout issues with automatic updates running, Microsoft Security Essentials running and updating? Will that detect rootkits which were the initial suspected cause of my issues? I do believe I take a lot of precautions, but one can always be more cautious!

Thank you kindly for your time and help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Hello clearlyclearly

I suggest that you configure your updates so that they are automatically detected - but you decide whether or not they are installed, please note that you should install all important updates as a matter of fact and only disregard the optional ones if you are 100% certain that by not installing them the computer will not suffer any detrimental affects, for configuring Windows updates please see here

NB: emeraldnzl is the authority on rootkits etc and so I am not best placed to comment in that area, I do however feel that there is a strong possibility that the initial issue may have been the result of an out of date OS, which BTW does pose a security risk.

You are as ever most welcome :thumbsup:

clearlyclearly

clearlyclearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you philpower2 for your helpful advice. I will definitely do as you say. I shall shortly install ubuntu alongside windows. Thank you for that advice previously.
I do hope it is some long time before I seek help from the amazingly kind and knowledgable geeks on this internet treasure geekstogo.com.
Thank you kindly.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
You are most welcome clearlyclearly and please do not hesitate to give us a shout if you are unfortunate enough to have any future computer issues :thumbsup: