Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Not Running at Full Speed

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I've just quickly run through this, it looks pretty good to me:

http://www.techsuppo...lation-disc.htm

Boot the PC off the installation disc. Make sure you pay attention to step 3 and choose "repair" option. Run the startup repair and see if that helps any.

Cheers

Advertisements

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I've just quickly run through this, it looks pretty good to me:

http://www.techsuppo...lation-disc.htm

Boot the PC off the installation disc. Make sure you pay attention to step 3 and choose "repair" option. Run the startup repair and see if that helps any.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Followed the steps from the link you provided and the result is the same. It says, "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically"...Basically, it's the exact same as the picture I posted 6 posts above this one. The only difference when I tried this method is that it did require me to select language defaults.
I appreciate your assistance and I hope something more can be done.

Edited by Webslinger64, 04 November 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Was the OS listed when you chose the "repair" option, or was it blank?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also, by tapping F8 when starting the PC up (without the OS disc), are you able to start in Safe Mode successfully?

If not, you can choose to "disable automatic restart" if the system gives a blue-screen error, try this (if Safe Mode is not successful) and report the error codes if possible. Screenshot helps (take it with a camera or phone camera).

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks Troy for coming in to help. Will stand aside for the moment.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Was the OS listed when you chose the "repair" option, or was it blank?

It was listed and highlighted.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Also, by tapping F8 when starting the PC up (without the OS disc), are you able to start in Safe Mode successfully?

If not, you can choose to "disable automatic restart" if the system gives a blue-screen error, try this (if Safe Mode is not successful) and report the error codes if possible. Screenshot helps (take it with a camera or phone camera).

I'll give that a try and let you know.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

I am able to boot up into Safe Mode. Not sure if this is needed, but pic included so you can see what I'm seeing on Safe Mode screen. Also, I can access BIOS now, which I was unable to do when this problem first started. Could I just go back into BIOS and reset the settings I changed in the first place back to default/original settings? Not sure if that would work at this point, but thought I'd ask.

Posted Image

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

One other possible solution...Based on the changes I made in BIOS that messed this up in the first place, couldn't I also try removing the BIOS jumper on the MB and setting it to clear CMOS, or even remove the battery from the MB for ten minutes or so. Would either of those options clear the BIOS and reset it to default?

Edited by Webslinger64, 07 November 2013 - 01:09 AM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
OK, so still trying to make sense of what happened. I can access BIOS and see that defaults have been reset, yet Windows OS is still not booting up. I'm guessing that whatever I did in BIOS when trying to overclock the CPU somehow glitched the OS as well? Didn't realize a bad CPU overclock in BIOS could do that.
Also, since this problem began, there is a screen that pops up very briefly right after I'm given the option to press F2 for BIOS and before Windows 7 begins to start. That screen flashes by so fast I was never able to read what it said. However, this time I was ready with my smartphone's video recorder to record the screen when it popped up. I Googled the message and found an image that shows the exact same message as what I see on my PC. The image is posted below. I hope this helps!
Posted Image

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Thanks Troy for coming in to help. Will stand aside for the moment.

Lol don't ever "stand aside" when I pop in, I'm often so busy you never know when I might get back...

OK Mr Slinger, time for some more questions. Good work on what information you have found so far.

1) Can you please confirm hardware details, i.e. make/model/revision of motherboard, motherboard BIOS level, CPU model, cooling solution.
2) Confirm that the PC is booting fine in Safe Mode but not Normal Mode still
3) If you are able to access the BIOS, normally there is an option within there to "reset to factory defaults" of sorts, this would achieve the same thing, otherwise removing power and the motherboard battery for 5 minutes will also do the trick.

Cheers

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

OK Mr Slinger, time for some more questions. Good work on what information you have found so far.

1) Can you please confirm hardware details, i.e. make/model/revision of motherboard, motherboard BIOS level, CPU model, cooling solution.
3) If you are able to access the BIOS, normally there is an option within there to "reset to factory defaults" of sorts, this would achieve the same thing, otherwise removing power and the motherboard battery for 5 minutes will also do the trick.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Troy. I will answer your questions in a follow up post on this same thread. In the meantime, I have concluded - but not with 100% surety - that an overheating problem with my CPU may have been the cause, or a contributing cause, for the PC issues listed initially in this thread. I recently discovered that the CPU, an i5-2500k, was running at 65°C at idle. I am not sure if it's been running at that temp since I completed the build a few weeks back (I was negligent and should have checked the CPU temp in BIOS as soon as I got the build up and running), or if it has been running that hot only since I messed with, or messed up, the BIOS 10 days ago. I bought the CPU brand new and it came with a stock HS/fan. The HS/fan assembly already had thermal compound preapplied, so installing the CPU/HS/Fan was a snap for me, or so I thought.
After giving this some further thought, I went ahead and bought new thermal compound online so I could reapply/reinstall from scratch. I should have that by tomorrow. My plan is to get the heating problem under control first, then proceed with a fix to Windows 7 OS and whatever BIOS adjustments need to be done. I'm hoping that the new application with a quality thermal paste will fix the overheating issue. I will install an additional case fan as well. If these steps do not work, I will buy an aftermarket cooling solution such as a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO and see where that gets me.
I do appreciate all your help and patience. I'm learning so much from my build/PC successes and failures, and I remain undeterred in my desire for success.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Cheers

1) Motherboard - Intel DZ68BC LGA 1155 (BIOS level 37); CPU - Intel i5-2500k with stock cooling solution
2) PC will boot to Safe Mode screen that allows me to select which type of Safe Mode I want, but when I do make a selection the PC begins the boot process then reboots on its own. So I never actually get into Safe Mode, just the Safe Mode menu screen.
3) I have been able to, and still can, access BIOS and have successfully reset BIOS back to factory defaults.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

Interesting board, that one. Just had a quick look and found a heap of information on it.

1) BIOS revision 39 is available, please update (double-check FIRST that I have searched for, and found, the correct BIOS to match your motherboard):
https://downloadcent...wnloadType=BIOS

2) Information on updating the BIOS to support newer processors... may or may not be applicable in your case but I recommend updating just to be sure.
http://www.intel.com...b/CS-033076.htm

3) Offline BIOS update method which would be applicable in your circumstance, not being able to boot into Windows:
Iflash BIOS Update / Integrator Toolkit BIOS Files [BCZ6810H.86A.0039.BI.ZIP]
https://downloadcent...&ProductID=3381

4) Support for the offline BIOS update method (aye aye aye...):
http://www.intel.com...b/CS-015474.htm

Cheers

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
I still think his Windows is hosed not the BIOS. This is why I never advise or encourage OCing to anybody. It's not worth it.