Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i think i broke it

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hello Nige and Naathim,

Two questions for Nige:
- Do you have more than one computer connected in your network?
- Also I would like to know if you have the Windows Vista install DVD?

hello sleepy,
i have 2 computers connected to the same wifi router, laptop and pc..we also have 2 mobile phones which are connected on and off
the only vista discs i have are the ones i made when i changed hard drive, but i have used them to do a factory reset on 3 occasions ( its the easiest way to solve problems and get rid of lingering unwanted software )
hope this helps

According to the logs you post the are two machines with the same name, if the two machines are connected at the same time Windows will detect the name conflict and will kill the network connection that is most likely the reason because Internet is back now.

Error: (11/05/2013 07:28:11 PM) (Source: Server) (User: )
Description: The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CBE14DD9-81F2-49E5-BEC4-7F7D0E92CF9B} because another computer on the network has the same name. The server could not start.

To avoid this problem change the name of one of the computers. To change the name follow the instructions on this page Change Your Computer Name in Windows 7 or Vista

Can you find the BIOS version you have? The information should be presented when the computer starts before loading windows (sometimes you have to press ESC to close the brand logo on screen to see what is behind the image) in some machines the bios version is listed on some information screen inside the BIOS (usually you need to press F1, F2 or Delete to enter the BIOS after power on)

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok...laptop name changed :thumbsup: ...i'll change the pc name as well just to make sure
i found vga bios, is this the right one ?....it is Intel v1518

regards
nige

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

ok...laptop name changed :thumbsup: ...i'll change the pc name as well just to make sure
i found vga bios, is this the right one ?....it is Intel v1518

Hi,

Nope the Intel v1518 doesn't seems to be the bios version.

Can you try to do this:

• click Start
  • on the Search box type msinfo32 and press Enter
  • on the System Summary panel look for the BIOS Version/Date
  • post the information you have there

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi, i thought the easiest way was to take a screenshot of the page...so here it is, hope the info you need is there

regards
nige

Attached Thumbnails

• system summary.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

According to the Windows Event Viewer there are one error and the suggestion to do a BIOS update.

Error: (11/05/2013 09:36:23 PM) (Source: ACPI) (User: )
Description: : The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Your BIOS version is v1.19 and on the Acer website for Acer Aspire 5315 the latest BIOS version available is v1.45

To update the bios download and extract the zip file BIOS_v1.45.zip, make sure the laptop is connected to the wall and the battery is charged, close all the running programs and disable the Antivirus, execute BIOS_v1.45.exe and follow the on-screen instructions...

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok mate..thanks for that

i'll give it a go.
internet went off again today, network and sharing centre said i was connected to the internet but nothing would open, page unavailable message...restarted the lappy and it came back on,,,no other devices were connected at the time....any ideas :confused:

regards
nige

Edited by vistasucks, 10 November 2013 - 02:58 PM.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i think i did it

Attached Thumbnails

• system summary2.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

i think i did it

Yep :thumbsup:

Next time you lose the internet connection please run MiniToolBox and save the log to post when you got internet access again.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok mate, will do..huge thanks to you and naat for the help

regards
nige