Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 8.1 forced download

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hi,

Just opened up my pc this morning and a blue ribbon across the screen saying download w8.1 free and go to the store.
I could not remove it and the only option was to go to the store but i disconneted my internet at the wall so it would not automatically start a download.

How can I get rid of this notification when it happens again and how can I get rid of the store app?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try uninstalling Windows Update KB2871389 and then hide it from re-appearing in the Windows Updates list.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
ok, will try this but some are warning me to not avoid updating to 8.1 and saying I wont be able to later if i want to?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I don't recommend waiting either. However, since it is your computer, you can do whatever you like. ;)

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
some on another site say its ok to wait - u can still get updates for xp - so whats the problem?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
:confused: There is no problem. Some say wait, others say now. <shrug> I've already updated mine.

Edited by SpywareDr, 06 November 2013 - 06:56 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I can't update because MS remove kernel support for some things that are not in my BIOS. I run Win 8 Pro X64 and the upgrade fails because I don't have the needed BIOS support for some features.

I would have to do a clean install to Win 8.1 X86 which I am not willing to do.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
i paid money and took it back to my tech to get rid of 8.1 - not in a hurry to update

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All XP support ends April 8 2014.

It means you should take action. After April 8, 2014, there will be no new security updates, non-security hotfixes, free or paid assisted support options or online technical content updates.