Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple STOP errors and freezing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So regardless of either one module or two the system is still not running right?
That would tell me the issue is not the memory unless it is the memory slots. Did you try both modules in the same slot?
In post 9 you said the system ran more stable with one module but your last post says it ran the same way with either module installed.
Can you try the modules in the two other slots if there are 4 slots on your motherboard.

Advertisements

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried every combination. The same things happen. With two sticks installed, I tend to have a hard time getting past POST. What I mean, is that sometimes it doesn't even start up, no matter the ram combination.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets skip doing anymore with the memory at this point. Put them back in the way they originally were and please do the following.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (chose "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I ran it before, but I ran again anyway.
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Extended Test passed.
Also if I even get to the bsod, it sometimes doesn't even save the dump, it'll freeze or restart before it finishes. Another thing, the system won't get past post if the ram is in dual channel, but it seems to work on single channel (with two sticks). And sometimes it does start up, but the same symptoms occur.

I am checking to see how the cpu does under stress, I haven't recently checked the temperature.

Edited by Draye, 08 November 2013 - 05:41 AM.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I ran prime95 for a few minutes when it go to 56c and stayed for a little bit then crashed with a STOP error, I've forgotten how heavy the load was.
I then checked the temps for games, and one game glot to about 52c with about a half load.
Here are the reports for the one bsod.
WhoCrashed:
Spoiler

BlueScreenView:
Spoiler

I have just uninstalled ATI WD to be sure.

Edited by Draye, 08 November 2013 - 06:13 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have Acronis software installed?
If so I suspect Acronis Snapshot which should be part of Acronis True Image software.
Try uninstalling it and then reinstalling.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I unstalled all Acronis software. I got a different bsod this time:
Spoiler

Spoiler

I also uninstalled all disk defrag, and av software, as was directed on the stop error.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So at this point you have no AV protection installed?
SFC /Scannow Win7

Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something else I thought of just now. Have you tried to restore the system back to a date before the issue started?

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The test came back with no errors. I ran it in safe mode with command prompt, because with normal start it froze. I have not tried restoring the system back because it had happened some time mid summer and I thought it was a ram issue. I also didn't realize I had a warranty on the ram back then either.

I am inclined to think it is a driver issue because I had went to sleep after I left it to run, and it didn't freeze. I am not sure what was installed around that time, and I have no idea why I didn't do anything about it.
I don't know any program that will scan for driver issues or uninstall them so I can reinstall easily, but I'll look for some in the meantime.

Edited by Draye, 08 November 2013 - 11:32 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Lets try to restore back to a earlier time before the issue started.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It only goes back as far as 11/7. And I do not know when the problem started anyway, only estimates.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well the problem started before the 7th because you started this thread on the 6th. So the restore points won't help. :angry:
Let me ask do you have a Genuine Windows installation disk? We can try a repair option or maybe a parallel installation.

Draye

Draye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I do not have a genuine disk nor is the copy of windows genuine.
However, I often have trouble even getting the computer to pass post and boot. Which makes me think that is a hardware failure, but the computer seemed to run fine when I used safe mode (not much testing, will do soon).
The issues seem like they are progressively getting worse.

If hardware, then maybe the motherboard or cpu, but I don't really know how to check, short of swapping components.

Edited by Draye, 11 November 2013 - 12:09 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it was motherboard or cpu it wouldn't even boot into Safe Mode so it is most likely a driver issue.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results