Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome Nag Panel on Start-up

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Since I reinstalled Google Chrome, the following panel pops up every single time I open the browser after shutdown. Can anybody please tell me how to get rid of this unnecessary pestilence ?

It would have been considerate on Google`s part to have put a "Don`t show this again" option, but Google are so autonomous that they could not care less about users. I do have Windows XP Home and find it irritating to tell Google more than once, but that is what you have to do to a brick wall

A solution would be gratefully appreciated.

Posted Image

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Right click on the Chrome icon on your desktop, click on the compatibility tab and make sure nothing is checked.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Right click on the Chrome icon on your desktop, click on the compatibility tab and make sure nothing is checked.

Right clicked Chrome desktop icon > properties> compatibility = nothing checked, all blank.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Find the target of the shortcut Chrome.exe

usually "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" and see if it has compatibility checked.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Find the target of the shortcut Chrome.exe

usually "C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" and see if it has compatibility checked.

The target is exactly as you state and compatibility has no checked items.
I cannot find any compatibility checked items anywhere.

Under "Find target" there are TWO Chrome.exe, an old and a new ?

Posted Image

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Does the old one get the nag too?

You might try setting one of them to use Win 95 compatibility, try it once then turn it off. It might correct an error in the registry when you do that.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Does the old one get the nag too?

You might try setting one of them to use Win 95 compatibility, try it once then turn it off. It might correct an error in the registry when you do that.

Yes the old Chrome.exe got the nag panel. I deleted it - Recycle bin - the system worked perfectly still, but the nag panel is not going to give in easily. I also tried your suggestion of Win 95 compatibility, but nothing happened.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I wonder if IE could be set to the wrong compatibility and Chrome is just following along?

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I wonder if IE could be set to the wrong compatibility and Chrome is just following along?

I really don`t know how to get rid of this persistent Google carbuncle. My Chrome, Firefox and IE are all blank on their compatibility tags. I hoped that some web wizard had by now come up with a Nike-like fix for this stupid repetitive panel, autocratically infested upon us by Google as a personal gift for using Chrome. But after much searching - nothing.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi John,

Right click on the Google Chrome Icon and choose Properties. Under Google Chrome Properties > Compatibility tab > Compatibility mode, go ahead and place a checkmark in the box to the left of Run this program in compatibility mode for: whichever OS is displayed in the box below it (no need to change the OS). Click Apply > OK.

If you try to open Chrome, you should still get that nag screen.

Close Google Chrome if it is open...

Now, go back and uncheck that box to the left of Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Click Apply > OK and try to open Chrome. Do you still get the nag screen?

Let me know.

Donna :)

Advertisements

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi John,

Right click on the Google Chrome Icon and choose Properties. Under Google Chrome Properties > Compatibility tab > Compatibility mode, go ahead and place a checkmark in the box to the left of Run this program in compatibility mode for: whichever OS is displayed in the box below it (no need to change the OS). Click Apply > OK.

If you try to open Chrome, you should still get that nag screen.

Close Google Chrome if it is open...

Now, go back and uncheck that box to the left of Run this program in compatibility mode for:

Click Apply > OK and try to open Chrome. Do you still get the nag screen?

Let me know.

Well Donna, thanks for that tip.

I did exactly what you said to the Chrome desktop icon. After the first suggestion, yes I still got the nag panel. After completing the second suggestion, NO nag panel !!

I closed and opened Chrome 3 times and NO nag panel. I like it but am mystified. Surely its a fluke and will come back when my elation has subsided. All that was using the normal Chrome icon.

Having "succeeded" so far with the normal Chrome icon, I tried opening Chrome using Sandboxie, which is my standard procedure for accessing the Internet and the nag panel came up every time I closed and restarted Chrome via Sandboxie.

I could not have a normal Chrome opening as well to check if it was still OK without Sandboxie, since trying to have two Chrome openings causes a profile conflict. When I have finished this post, I will close Sandboxie/Chrome and try the ordinary Chrome icon again, to see if the nag panel has come back.

What is your verdict about that dual situation Donna ?
John

Donna, I did that and went back to use the normal Chrome icon, but it would not open Chrome, had to use Sandboxie to get back and see that nag screen again. Could it be something to do with how Sandboxie is handling Chrome ?

Edited by John Bull, 13 November 2013 - 02:04 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I closed and opened Chrome 3 times and NO nag panel. I like it but am mystified. Surely its a fluke and will come back when my elation has subsided. All that was using the normal Chrome icon.

Weird! Chrome must have been having a bad day. Sometimes the best way to go forward is to take one step back. :thumbsup:

Donna, I did that and went back to use the normal Chrome icon, but it would not open Chrome, had to use Sandboxie to get back and see that nag screen again. Could it be something to do with how Sandboxie is handling Chrome ?

Hm? Sandboxie, huh? Gee John..... Not sure. I haven't had Sandboxie installed for some time now and I would like to take a moment to install Sandboxie so I can replicate what you are experiencing. Please be patient, I'll post back with my findings as soon as possible.

In the meantime, maybe one of GTG's other dedicated members who has XP, Chrome and Sandboxie installed may post their findings from personal experience before I do.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
@ Donna

You are being so helpful and your comments are appreciated.

It looks as if using the normal unsandboxed Chrome, the nag panel does not come up. But every time I open Chrome with Sandboxie, the nag panel springs out of its coffin and appears like Count Dracula.

I have scoured the Sandboxie configurations time and again, but cannot see what is causing this nag panel to appear with Sandboxie and not the unsandboxed Chrome

For Heavens sake Donna, don`t find a solution to exorcise this Google Goolie, we have become such good friends I will probably wear a black armband with its sudden demise and have a wake week.

John

PS - As the nag panel does not appear with an unsandboxed Chrome, then logic tells me it is Sandboxie that is responsible. Why Sandboxie should infest us with such a panel is beyond my understanding, since if the OS system was not compatible with Chrome, then Chrome would not install in the first place.

It is a Google responsibility and nothing to do with Sandboxie. If Chrome is there, then it must have been compatible with the OS to install. And if there was something wrong, then Sandboxie would not install. Who needs a nag panel ?

It could be a left-over from the Chrome installer that Sandboxie is picking up.

Edited by John Bull, 15 November 2013 - 05:07 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

For Heavens sake Donna, don`t find a solution to exorcise this Google Goolie, we have become such good friends I will probably wear a black armband with its sudden demise and have a wake week.

John,

I have to admit, your kind remarks certainly brought on a smile to start my day out right! :happy:

I haven't had the time to install and experiment with Sandboxie and Chrome yet, though I did come across many threads where users had the same issues of compatibility with their Chrome browser and Online Armor firewall. I believe you still use PrivateFirewall though, correct?

The incompatibility issues with the majority began after updates to their Chrome browsers.

If I may be so nosy, why did you reinstall Chrome in the first place? Did you have no issues prior to reinstalling?

Still thinking here....... ;)

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
@ Dear Donna

I reinstalled Chrome to try and cure this damned nag panel thingy, but the curse was still there afterwards. I am kind to animals, help old ladies across the road, say "Hello" to my next door neighbour and have`nt a blemish on my driving license, yet STILL this nag panel haunts me.

I was perfectly OK, a happy chappy until a recent routine Chrome update blighted my life. Since then, although Chrome is being a good boy, Sandboxie persists in presenting me with this nag job every time I click it to open Chrome.

I have completely uninstalled Sandboxie by Revo Uninstaller, killing every atom of left-over debris and reinstalled Sanboxie clean. You know what Donna ? The damned nag panel was still there. Unlike Davy Crockett at the Alamo, I gave up.

My entire mental future depends on you Donna, nobody else on Planet Earth seems to care a toot about my predicament. I have`nt had a wink of sleep since it happened and the dog won`t come near me any more. Why ME Donna ? Perhaps it is a Christmas present from our highly acclaimed and considerate Google conglomerate in California to all Sandboxie addicts.

THE CHROME NAG PANEL :-
Posted Image
GOTCHA !

Edited by John Bull, 17 November 2013 - 07:38 AM.