Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolving a "stuck" device driver installation

• Please log in to reply

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

A friend's computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium and has started to run EXTREMELY SLUGGLISHLY because it seems to have lost its USB device drivers, so it's constantly trying to re-install them, even though it can't seem to succeed.

The installation window seems to have no way of stopping this fruitless task from running anymore, it just continues running and running with lots of X saying "failure" ... but it continues running.

I was sure that Start Mode would prevent this happening and allow me to get into Control Panel to remove the (presumably) faulty drivers, so they can be re-installed from scratch. But it still runs.

I've discovered that Device Driver Installation can be stopped using a tool - but it's only available in Windows 7 Professional.

Please can you help me, because unless I can stop the stalling installation the computer is too sluggish to use - and there must be a simple way to this problem.

I do hope you can help me.

Regards,
Julia

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi Julia,

Can you run a tool on the machine to get a log?
Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

Edited by SleepyDude, 07 November 2013 - 01:55 PM.

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping to log back onto the computer this evening to stop the installation, but it seems to have gone off-line.

I hope that I can re-connect tomorrow morning. Is there a tool - or even a registry edit - I can use to stop it looking for these device drivers ?

Because if I can stop this process, the PC will be able to respond to my request to install new USB drivers. Whilst it's stuck, so am I ! Safe Mode has resolved almost every other problem I've ever come across - why not this one ?

Regards,
Julia

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Because if I can stop this process, the PC will be able to respond to my request to install new USB drivers. Whilst it's stuck, so am I ! Safe Mode has resolved almost every other problem I've ever come across - why not this one ?

Usually when windows is detecting and installing drivers if you hit cancel it should stop but in your case sounds like if some installation program is running.

Does the computer stop at the logon screen or windows loads right away?
If it's the first case, after clicking on the username and typing the password (if applicable), try to hold both shift keys to see if it makes any difference.

juliaatgeekstogo

juliaatgeekstogo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The PC can still be used for all tasks and all usb ports seem to work fine, but it is too slow to do anything while this unending loop is going on !