Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back up everything - establish system

• Please log in to reply

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm trying to have everything in place back up wise in the event that something goes wrong, on my own laptop as well as those at work.

File History is causing me headaches for some reason, so assuming that this software doesn't really work I have used DriveImage XML and created a back up to an external drive. I've never had to use the software before though so I'm not sure if this is enough? Does it copy everything from the computer : User accounts, settings, files, passwords etc etc ?

I don't have any Installation discs for the computers, is this something that I need to have as well as DriveImage XML? Is there anything else of this nature?

What I'm really after is a solid guide on this that I can follow, any advice much appreciated!

Heres basically all I currently have :

• DriveImage XML back file - storing multiple files for different computers should be alright? (So I can use the same external HD to DriveImage a few different computers?)

• Recovery Drive (Does this have to be created to a flash drive?)And I don't know

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need a way to restore the DIXML backup image. BartPE is one way: WinPE/BartPE Support

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

You need a way to restore the DIXML backup image. BartPE is one way: WinPE/BartPE Support

I'm not sure what you mean

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Read the information at the link I provided. Ask any questions once you've read it.

Basically you need a way to restore the DIXML image you created. To do this you need to boot a CD/DVD or flash drive that then allows you to run DIXML to restore the image.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just had a thought. If you switched to Macrium Reflect Free to make your backup, it has a tool you run to create a Macrium Rescue Disc. This might be a simpler way to go.

Macrium is recommended by a lot of people. I use it one one of my computers here and on two at work.

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Looks good - that was something I'm unsure about as I've never actually had to use it, although I've acquired another computer that I can mess about with so I can try thing's out this week which will hopefully make it clearer to me.

So I use something like DriveImage XML and create a disc image. I then need to also create recovery discs, or is a recovery flash drive enough? I thought It'd be really easy to find step by step on a complete schema and how to but I couldn't really find one!

Thanks for the recommendation though, I'll have a look at it tomorrow hopefully :thumbsup:

TeaForTwo

TeaForTwo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
like this system image back up

Posted Image

Would that be used instead of DriveImage XML or in conjunction with?

Or a recovery flash drive

Posted Image

I'm not sure how much of a computer that would actually bring back