Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Epic problems and irresponsibility chkdsk stage 4/5.

• Please log in to reply

Luniper

Luniper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, 2 years ago I got my first computer. It's a light gaming computer and I was quite excited. Bear with me here.. I used it irresponsibly for a good year and a half playing games. My computer started to slow down subtly but nothing too noticeable. Then my AC adapter began to not be detected. My battery wouldn't charge, dropping my fps in games to 8. Was frustrating, I got a new AC adapter. Then slowly I began to stray away from playing games. I uninstalled them, quit and went down the road to graphic design and digital art. It wasn't long before I went down that path my laptop went downhill faster than it ever did when I had used it more irresponsibly than now. In a span of 2 months, my computer blue screened plenty, got a Win32/small.ca virus, seen many hard disk errors... And did I mention I moved over seas and my recovery CDs broke and I was never able to replace them up until now. Needless to say, my laptop seems to be hard as rock... Don't want to jinx it. But...I some how got rid of the virus, (not really sure but Microsoft hadn't warned me about it again) my older brother ran a hard disk...something and it repaired bad sectors...but my computer was and is still working slow...because of the AC adapter or well. Now I suspect it's my battery. When my brother ran the scan it had stopped at 24 percent...for a long time and jumped up to 26..and stayed like that over a long night. I don't recall if my brother had restarted and resumed the drive at that point...I really don't know what he did. I was sleeping. But to make this short, sorry for rambling... It started to show hard drive errors again and Microsoft action center warned me this time. I decided I was going to fix this laptop..(funny when I decided to it screws up more.) I schedules a chkdsk at start up and now it's running. At stage 4/5 it's stopped at 24 percent. My hard drive is about 451 GB.. Now it has replaced bad clusters before freezing at different points in stage 4..and really I'm not sure it is frozen. I'm eager to resume my work, resources in this country suck and needless to say if I ever get another laptop, I'll sure as [bleep] be taking care of it way better from the start. At this point in time, I'd like to know what the basics to keeping a laptop maintained are? And any knowledge you might know about my current situation.. I apparently suck at keeping hard ware in check. (Don't all girls. ) ask questions if you must. I do know a tiny thing or two in the impertinent information. Heh..

Edited by Luniper, 12 November 2013 - 02:46 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW what a big mess you have. BTW welcome to GTG and my name is Ron. I will attempt to assist you with your issues. The first two things I see that need to be addressed is first if the HD is actually damaged. Once that has been determined then we need to resolve the infection issue if the HD is good. I will start with the HD by asking you to do the following for me please.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (chose "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Luniper

Luniper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Haha. Sorry for the late reply. Had a busy day yesterday. Thanks for the welcome, Ron. I'll start those things right away and post my results. Thanks. xD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No hurry :thumbsup: