Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do you have any idea for me to get back family photos from my SD card?

• Please log in to reply

Aubrey5948

Aubrey5948

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I am new here! I need you help!
Last weekend, I took many family pictures with my digital camera. However, as I went back to home and attempted to upload them all to my computer, a message always popped out and asked me to format the SD card of this camera at first. But, you know that the formatting process can get rid of everything inside it, including my newly taken pictures. So, I come here and hope you guys can help me out. Is it possible for me to get back all the stored photos? Any idea could be appreciated!

Advertisements

Blaircgen995

Blaircgen995

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yes, you are right! It is said that the formatting process would erase everything off from a memory card or hard drive. But, you may not know that these deleted data is also recoverable as long as it is not overwritten by any new file on the same memory card or hard drive.

So, you can also try to restore all your lost photos back from this digital camera before they are overwritten completely.

What you need right now is a SD card data recovery program that can help you retrieve your wanted photos back as many as possible.

But, if you don’t know much about the data recovery stuff, you can firstly use some data recovery freeware, such as Recuva, PhotoRec, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc. All of these programs have their free versions that often work efficiently on different memory cards or hard drives. You can take chances with them.

Note: If you really don’t want to lose your important data again, I hope you can learn to save at least two copies of everything important on different drives or locations.

Edited by Blaircgen995, 13 November 2013 - 08:42 PM.

Aubrey5948

Aubrey5948

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes, you are right! It is said that the formatting process would erase everything off from a memory card or hard drive. But, you may not know that these deleted data is also recoverable as long as it is not overwritten by any new file on the same memory card or hard drive.

So, you can also try to restore all your lost photos back from this digital camera before they are overwritten completely.

What you need right now is a SD card data recovery program that can help you retrieve your wanted photos back as many as possible.

But, if you don’t know much about the data recovery stuff, you can firstly use some data recovery freeware, such as Recuva, PhotoRec, TestDisk and iCare Data Recovery Free, etc. All of these programs have their free versions that often work efficiently on different memory cards or hard drives. You can take chances with them.

Note: If you really don’t want to lose your important data again, I hope you can learn to save at least two copies of everything important on different drives or locations.

Thank you for your detailed description.
In fact, when I Google how to recover these lost photos from a SD card, I read a lot of threads and articles that have advised a good data recovery program should be applied in my case. So, I straightly tried your listed data recovery freeware. All of them seems to be great and efficient, especially the last one that has almost 90% of my photos back.
Thanks a million! Have a nice day!

KWY73865

KWY73865

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, I am new here! I need you help!
Last weekend, I took many family pictures with my digital camera. However, as I went back to home and attempted to upload them all to my computer, a message always popped out and asked me to format the SD card of this camera at first. But, you know that the formatting process can get rid of everything inside it, including my newly taken pictures. So, I come here and hope you guys can help me out. Is it possible for me to get back all the stored photos? Any idea could be appreciated!

Hi, there is a chance for you to get your files back. That is to say, to use recovery tool.

Have you ever used one?

If not, you can try 4Card Recovery. It is a professional recovery tool.

Step 1. Download it on your computer and install it.

Step 2. Start it and select the files that you want to recover.

Step 3. Scan it and wait for a few moment.

Step 4. Save your recovered data on other place. 

Have a try.

http://www.4cardrecovery.com/howto/sd-card-format-recovery.html‎