Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Fan not detected

• Please log in to reply

ejay563

ejay563

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I recently got a new heatsink and fan assebmly for my computer, and my computer does not detect the nw fan. It has the same number of wires, and I put it in the only place for a fan on my motherboard. The fan works fine, but the comptuer just does not see it. Any ideas on how not to wear out the "F1" key? let me know. thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Please list your system specs especially what mobo you have.
be more specific what is telling you that it does not detect the fan is it some sort of software or won't the computer boot because it thinks the fan is not working?

I know you said you connected the fan to the only place on the mobo (motherboard) but is it the same place the old fan was connected to and did it detect the old fan?

Rick

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
ok, sorry I wasn't more clear before. Here's the specs as off the Dell Website. I'm not sure if they lsit the motherboard though. It seems like they like to keep that a secret.

System Summary
Service Tag: 67LVT11
System Type: Dimension 2300
Ship Date: 9/7/2002
Dell IBU: Americas
Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 3T237 CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), DIM2300, AUDIO/VIDEO
0 6W025 INFORMATION, PREPARATION MATERIAL, DEVIATION, DIMENSION, INCREASE, #1
1 8R160 PROCESSOR, 80531, 1.7G, 128K, 400FSB, CELERON
1 7N242 KEYBOARD, 104, UNITED STATES, SILITEK, LOW COST, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 735HE MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 6P, 2BTN, WHEEL, 1.3A, MICROSOFT, MIDNIGHT GRAY
1 0J651 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 133M, 16X64, 8K, 168
1 4U829 MODEM, V92, INTERNAL, DATA FAX, SOFT, DON JULIO, AMF
1 4N567 KIT, SPEAKER, 120V, HK206, NMB, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 9M556 DISPLAY, CATHODE-RAY TUBE, 17, DUAL, E772C, MIDNIGHT GRAY, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 9P516 HARD DRIVE, 40G, I, HALF HEIGHT, 7.2K, 40G/P, SEAGATE SNOWMASS
1 0J568 KIT, SOFTWARE, MS-MNY-2K2, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 9M543 KIT, SOFTWARE, WINDOWS XP PLUS PACK, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 5E756 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFFICEXP PROFESSIONAL, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR., ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 8P472 KIT, SOFTWARE, OFCXP-SP1, ENGLAND/ENGLISH
1 1R596 KIT, SOFTWARE, OVERPACK, WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL, COMPACT DISKETTE W/DOCUMENTATION, ENGLAND/ENGLISH, A02
1 8R080 KIT, DOCUMENTATON ON FLOPPY DISK, SOFTWARE, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, CYBERLINK, 4.0, 2CH
1 1R302 DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 16X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, LITEON, MIDNIGHT GRAY, V3

It tells me that it cannot detect the fan right before it starts windows, and I have to push the "F1" key to continue. And yes, I connected it to the same place that the old fan was connected to. Well, that's all I can think of to tell you. If you need to know anymore, I would be more than happy to provide info. Thanks for your time!

-ejay563

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok now I see its a dell and I know what you mean by keeping the mobo and manual for it a secret.
I ain't gunna be much help here but the bios ain't detecting the fan for some odd reason who knows why its a dell. but maybe you could look around in bios for something like cpu fan detect and turn it off, I doubt it but thats all I can think of at the moment.

sorry coun't be more help

Rick

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Alriht, thanks anyway. I'll look in the bios and see if there is anything.

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Did you get the fan through Dell?

Dell is known for only working with their products and only their products.

Example: Dell printers, you can only use Dell ink catridges with it. This leaves out the great sales of HP or Epson ink cartridges at the local Staples.

I would imagine they would want you to only use their products. I would not be
surprised if they wired their fan connectors backwards to cause confusion if
a non-dell replacement part is introduced to the system.

ejay563

ejay563

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Actually this is the second replacement fan. The first replacement was not from dell, and I had no problem with it, and this one is not from dell either. Dell is the kind of company to do that sort of thing though. Good thought.