Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(Fixed) Windows 7 will not boot, startup repair useless

• Please log in to reply

Seqah

Seqah

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

For about a week now I have been unable to use my laptop as Windows 7 fails to boot. No software was installed or removed prior to the failure, and no hardware has been changed. It was shut down normally one evening and would not work the next day.

Safe mode and last known configuration both result in a momentary Blue Screen and the machine starting over. The computer did not come with Windows, so there is no factory reset option. I did not have backup, but do not mind any data loss as it is a new computer without any files of value.

Only today was I able to actually access startup repair after changing the setting in BIOS from AHCI to IDE. (Don't get me wrong, I'm completely clueless, I just followed advice from a thread somewhere online.)

Startup repair is not able to fix my problem automatically, and it gives me these details.

Problem Signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21199648
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 3
Problem Signature 07: CorruptVolume
OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Any ideas? Is it my HDD?
The computer was bought less than two months ago and is covered by warranty.

Any and all help is appreciated. I am close to calling the manufacturer for warranty service but want to see if anyone here has an opinion/advice.

Thanks,
Seqah

Edited by Seqah, 19 November 2013 - 02:17 AM.

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Sorry for your troubles. See if the following tests can be of any use to you:

Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html (read the details at the link)
http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html (read the details at the link)

Let us know how the system repair progresses. Thanks.

Seqah

Seqah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you, I will try and report back.

Need to locate a PC with a CD-ROM drive first as I don't usually have access to one (except for the one that is failing to boot.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Seqah

In addition to what has been suggested earlier by dbreeze;

Have you checked for a Recovery Partition on the HDD.

What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook.

As long as you have your 25 digit product key you can download and use a Windows 7 ISO and burn it to disk or save it to a USB thumb drive that has a storage capacity of 4GB or more, details Here and Here

Seqah

Seqah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Thank you for replying.

The problem is now solved. I feel like an idiot as it seemed very easy to fix.

My friend called this morning and offered to take me to the nearest Toshiba Service Center, and the lovely geek working there fixed it in less than 5 minutes. I don't know what he did, and the language barrier (中文) made it difficult to ask what I wanted to ask. Respect to the geeks. (I wish I knew even a thousandth of what you guys do about computers.)

Anyway, I didn't even have to re-install Windows and all my files are safe and sound! :)

Now lets see if it lasts...

Regards,
One very happy Seqah with a functioning computer.

Edited by Seqah, 18 November 2013 - 02:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
We are pleased to hear that the issue is now resolved and thank you for the follow up Seqah :thumbsup:

I suggest that now that all is well with the computer that you create an image (back up) of the data on the HDD for your future use, I recommend a free software called Macrium Reflect for this.