Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Crooked power supply

• Please log in to reply

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I just got the Antec case I ordered in today (SX1000II series SOHO server fulltower case)or something, and I noticed the power supply is installed crookedly. It doesn't meet with the back panel flush, and there is a small opening between where it should be flush. On the inside it's on a very small upward slant.

Is this a problem? Or is just aesthetic?

If it is a problem can I fix it?

Also, I only have the mobo and CPU right now, should I install them now. Or should I wait till I have everything first?

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmmm, seems they didnt include the psu mounting plate for your case. its a metal plate, mount the psu to it, and then the plate to the PC. you can order it cheap (maybe $5) from antec.com.
I cant find that on their site right now, but I have had trouble in the past seeing that from the PC I'm on at the moment...look under spare parts from here

you should also consider getting more drive mounting rails (for CD/DVD, etc)
rails

and possibly the noisekiller kit- gaskets to mount the psu and a couple fans in, helps cut down on case vibrations, reducing noise.

I would wait until you have the ram and video card, then do the first boot test, as outlined in this troubleshooter

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
What?

How do I know that they didn't include that plate? The opening is caused by the power supply being assembled crooked. It isn't flush, so there is what I would guess is a 2-3 mm (very small) opening where it connects on the back.

Should I just unscrew the PSU, and screw it back in straighter?

Edited by Metalive, 08 June 2005 - 05:40 PM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the psu shouldnt mount flush with the case. the screw holes should line up to go through the case, into the psu. if you can push the psu through the hole in the case, you need a mounting plate.
I had exactly the same problem with my antec sonata case. the part is pretty cheap, and their shipping is fast.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I can't push it through, it is secured in place and screwed in, it's just on a little bit of a slant, which causes a small opening on the underside of the PSU on the outside.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, I misunderstood. apologies.
I wouldnt worry about a hole like that, especially since its in the back of the PC. I would caution against taking apart the power supply, as their are high voltages in there that can kill. even unplugged, they are full of capacitors that store a charge.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok, so I should just leave it alone. Do I need to cover the opening? Say with a piece of spandex or something to keep dust and hair out?

Thanks for your help.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
probably be fine leaving it be. if you do jam something in there, make sure it wont melt- the psu gets kinda warm, but not super hot.

I generally open my PC's once a month to see if there is any dust/hair buildup, and blast it out with canned air if there is (especially the fans). a regimen like that would prevent any buildup of gunk that might get in, and helps ensure the airflow is good, etc.

Metalive

Metalive

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Thanks