Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BOOT/BCD won't defrag

• Please log in to reply

passingthru

passingthru

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I was running the scan and fix in Advanced Systemcare and when it got to the registry defrag bit, it told me I had to reboot for it to finish defragging. Then when I was going thru the part where the screen is black, it said c:/BOOT/BCD... failed.

Is this gonna cause me trouble? Is it important? How do I fix it so it defrags normally?

Advertisements

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hmm, I remember posting this question in the "applications" forum. For a moment there I thought it had been deleted by the moderators and I was like "what happened?", but it got moved here?..

Is this a problem exclusive to Windows 7?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hello passingthru

If the message is specific to the Iobit program then hopefully there has been no damage done to your OS, I suggest that you run MS Fix it to see if any problems are reported/fixed etc.

Please avoid using so called "system optimizer software" as it often does more harm than good and the resultant fix suggested by the program will require a fee to be paid to the very same software provider that caused the problem, miekiemoes' Blog

Unless you do an awful lot of file swapping frequent defragging of a HDD is not necessary, once every couple of months should be fine, you should also keep in mind that defragging the HDD is making the drive work harder and shortening it`s life expectancy, when you do defrag stick to Windows own defrag program or use a third party program such as Auslogics and you will not go far wrong, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service that may be offered at the link.

passingthru

passingthru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Hello passingthru

If the message is specific to the Iobit program then hopefully there has been no damage done to your OS, I suggest that you run MS Fix it to see if any problems are reported/fixed etc.

Please avoid using so called "system optimizer software" as it often does more harm than good and the resultant fix suggested by the program will require a fee to be paid to the very same software provider that caused the problem, miekiemoes' Blog

Unless you do an awful lot of file swapping frequent defragging of a HDD is not necessary, once every couple of months should be fine, you should also keep in mind that defragging the HDD is making the drive work harder and shortening it`s life expectancy, when you do defrag stick to Windows own defrag program or use a third party program such as Auslogics and you will not go far wrong, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service that may be offered at the link.

Hmm, there's something else that's come up as well and I don't know if it's directly related to this current issue or if it's actually a different computer issue altogether.

I have geekbuddy installed on my PC, it came with my Comodo firewall freeware. I once contacted them thru the chat feature they provide and asked them to help me since my computer was freezing up at the time. They asked me to give permission for their tech person to access my PC. After he did, he told me I had a lot of corrupted applications on my PC, but was quite vague about what they were and how to fix them. What he wasn't vague about was that if I wanted any more help I'd have to pay for their premium service. After he disconnected, he left behind three icons on my desktop. Comodo Dragon, Virtual Comodo Dragon and something called "shared space", I've no idea what it is. When I click on it, it opens up a folder that's empty. Anyway, later on a window from Comodo opens saying "write operation has failed!" "A write operation failed as your system was attempting to transfer file data on a network. A live expert is ready to identify the operation and deliver potentially lost data now!" "open issue tracker, get live expert fix it now!"

Could this "write operation failure" be comodo detecting that my BOOT/BCD failed or is this completely unrelated?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
The BOOT/BCD failed message is most likely unrelated to anything other than the Iobit software

Allowing remote access to a computer is not something that I would very often endorse and geekbuddy is yet another money spinner from a company that at one time you could not have imagined would jump on such a bandwagon, I would use Windows Defender/Avast free and get rid of anything related to Comodo and Iobit asap.