Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC not booting to Windows

• Please log in to reply

space sapien

space sapien

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi. I've just recently re-installed Windows 7 as my former hard drive was damaged (old sata drive). I got a SSD and seemed to be working fine. Aftet a few days however problems developed and has worsened. First of all when turning or logging off, the screen went black (orange light on Dell monitor). Only solution was to cold boot down. Now however Windows will not boot. Gets past bios splash screen but no further. Loading settings on black screen. Tried loading in safe mode - no difference. Tried also repairing but no joy. I did damage the drive when trying to screw it to a drive adaptor so cracked case open. So the ssd housing was opened unnaturally. Would this cause this fault?

Advertisements

space sapien

space sapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I eventually got my PC booting by removing other hard drives and then re-adding one at a time, but 24 hours later faults are still occurring. I even ran Prime 95 to stress test it and there seemed to be no problems.

First further problem arose when the screen went black after half an hour or so of internet browsing. Then today when logging off on one of the profiles on the PC it went black again, forcing me to cold boot off again. All drives pick up in BIOS. It's as though its some kind of refresh rate issue but I don't know exactly what. Please help.

Edited by space sapien, 26 November 2013 - 04:13 PM.