Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi there! I'm sort of new here. Am I in the right place for co

• Please log in to reply

bookwormbabe29

bookwormbabe29

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there!

I'm sort of new here and still learning the ropes, so please bear with me if I do this wrong (as I'm sort of afraid I am).

First off, I'm looking at getting a new computer (Checking around here, location seems important for this so I'll just add in that I live in the states, a little south of Boston MA). Problem one is obviously money. Who doesn't have THAT problem? Still, it is a problem as I am on disability. I get a whopping 400$ a month to cover all of my expenses, so it's taken me quite some time to save enough money to even consider getting a computer. Still, I do consider a computer a "need." My illness keeps me bound to a bed more than I'd like, and a computer means having access to the outside world beyond these four walls. It also gives me something to DO. Playing games on my computer is my primary form of entertainment, and this computer can no longer handle anything more intensive than web browsing... and if I'm being honest, even that gives it trouble at times.

But I'm rambling. I do that. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm looking to get a computer, one that can ideally handle some gaming. As old as this computer is I have never tried anything too intensive graphic wise and my budget doesn't allow for some several thousand dollar computer for top of the line performance. I'd like...well, options. I'd like the chance to go to steam and not have to worry if my computer can play a game or not. That's sort of where my other problem comes in. I know next to nothing about computers. I don't know what I need, the kind of processors or video cards or any of that. I research this stuff time and time again but it just doesn't click in my brain. I'm just flustered as all heck, not knowing what to do next or where to even begin looking for help anymore.

I'll give an example so I am not just rambling like crazy. My tech guru of old swore by Toshiba products for well, everything. Me? I keep having said toshiba products break like mad. I look into rankings of computers, and find this top brand my guru recommends is rated in last place. How can I trust my tech expert when I find something like that?

I don't know if I'm making any sense. I'm so nervous and worried about this I can't think clearly, and when I panic I ramble. In the end, I guess I'm just looking for someone to help make sense of this, to point me in the right direction. I'm so afraid of making the wrong decision I can't make ANY decision, and I just don't trust my own judgement on the matter. If I'm making any sense at all, I'd love to get some honest feedback, some insight into buying a computer that won't break my already damaged brain.

If you're still reading, thank you for reading this tangled mess of my thoughts, and enduring my rambling. Your time is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi bookwormbabe29,

Welcome to the forum.

What games do you play ?

How much money can you spend?

Thanks
Joe :)

Edited by zep516, 22 November 2013 - 11:32 PM.

bookwormbabe29

bookwormbabe29

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well in general I like RPG's and the like as I have really poor reflexes lol. The last game I tried to play on here was the steam version of Final Fantasy 7, and the game was too much for this computer to handle. I did say this computer is dying, yes? Well it is. I'd love to play games like Shadowrun Returns, the new enhanced editions of Baldur's gate, maybe even Civilization. it should also be said that I'd like to get the best I can afford, as it will likely be years until I could consider upgrading again (my current PC here is nearly a decade old, for example).

Budget wise, I have roughly a 1,000$ to work with thanks to some help from family. Does that help?

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hey BookWormBabe, welcome aboard. I understand your position as I'm pretty much in the same boat. First thing to do is don't talk to that tech anymore, we are more experienced in computer building and selecting components so we can build you a killer system for a better price.

First thing is what is your system? Can you download Speccy and run it to get your system specs? You can post the summary and we'll have all the info we need.

As I said, I get SSI so I have to save money for months to get this system I have now. First I had to build a cheap system in a hurry as my old PC died. Then after that I saved up and bought components by the month to build a good system. Today, memory prices had nearly doubled in prices so that's gonna hurt some. I was lucky to build myself two system before the hike.

Let us know what you get from Speccy. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: bookwormbabe29

Your budget will allow for a solid AMD build with an Nvidea video card that will serve you well, lesser performing AMD based video cards were around the same price as the GTX 760 or more expensive, please see Here

I have put a list of parts together and hopefully kept enough cash in reserve to allow for a local reputable tech to assemble the parts for you

bookwormbabe29 list of parts

If you have someone that you can trust to assemble the build for free you could use the money saved to add an SSD for the OS as it will speed up your boot times.