Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive not detecting after it fell from knee height

• Please log in to reply

Aakash_ryp

Aakash_ryp

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please suggest what should be done as my portable 500 GB Western Digital Hard drive is not detecting after it fell from knee height and contains a lot of crucial data

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
When you plug it in, does it make any sound at all? It should sound like a faint hum and should vibrate slightly like something inside is moving.

Aakash_ryp

Aakash_ryp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yes it makes a sound like something is moving inside what should I do to it and any way to recover the data in it?

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
is it a portable external hard drive or a desktop external hard drive?

Aakash_ryp

Aakash_ryp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it's a USB 3.0 Western Digital My Passport 500 GB external Hard Drive.

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
it's possible that there's something wrong with the cable, though unlikely. I have had some success with disassembling external hard drives and using either a hard drive dock or a hard drive enclosure, however doing so would void any warranty that you may have with Western Digital. Inside of most portable external hard drives is just a standard laptop hard drive, so if it's an issue with the enclosure around it you should be able to remove the hard drive and put it into an enclosure. I will warn you though, doing this can cause further damage to the hard drive if you aren't careful with it, so I don't normally recommend this process unless you don't have any other options.

Aakash_ryp

Aakash_ryp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
There is no warranty but please guide on how to connect it

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
if possible would you be able to provide a model number or at least a picture of it? I want to do a little bit of research on it before going any further.

Aakash_ryp

Aakash_ryp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the reply ..Please see it here the capacity of drive is 500 GB http://www.wdc.com/w...4178-705230.pdf

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
the first thing you will need is either a hard drive docking station, a hard drive enclosure, or a SATA to USB adapter. The links are only to examples of the devices mentioned, not specific ones that you'll need. You can usually find them at local stores that carry electronics(i.e. walmart, target, bestbuy, radioshack, etc.)

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
If this process works, the hard drive enclosure would be the best option as it would allow you to continue using it as an external hard drive. Once you've taken apart the old enclosure it will no longer be useable.

Aakash_ryp

Aakash_ryp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks once again !!