Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Water damage help

• Please log in to reply

rustymoose

rustymoose

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently was playing around and water was thrown in the direction of my pc. my pc froze then the display stopped i turned it off the power button would not work i had to use the switch on the power supply then i dried it it seemed only water was on the vga and wasnt much at all so i dried it looked for more water and did not see any. The pc set for 24 hrs then i turned it on with the power button and no display. i took the vga out tried to use the onboard graphics nothing happened. the power button will not work when it comes to turning the pc off but will turn it on. all lights come on and all fans that are connected to motherboard. so my guess is that something on the motherboard got damaged. also the vga can comes on as well.

any guesses befoe i go buy stuff that i dont need and waste money

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Can you open the case up and take a look at the capacitors, they should look like little cylinders with what looks kind of like a + etched into the metal on the top. See if any of those are bubbled up.

rustymoose

rustymoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i looked nothing seems to be bubbled up the way my tower is the vga was up side down. but i dont think it is the vga bc even the on board graphics didnt work. and to clarify i did not see any water on motherboard only on vga. i am pretty sure all i have to do to activate the onboard graphics is to take out my vga so thats what i did. correct me if im wrong

Edited by rustymoose, 28 November 2013 - 07:19 PM.

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
You said you were able to turn it off with the switch on the back, are you not able to turn it on the same way? Also are you sure that the cable for the power button is properly connected? I would hate to have you buy a new motherboard over a loose cable.

rustymoose

rustymoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i can use the power button to turn it on but it wont let me hold it down and turn it off it might be a cable. i just got this new case 2 weeks ago and to think about it i dont think ive used that button to turn it off yet. that being the case lets throw out the power button situation. to be honest when i built the pc i got a 40 dollar motherboard so honestly it would be the best bet my cpu is a six core and my vga was a little less then 100. everything seems to work fine but with no image. if im not activating the onboard correctly please let me no

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
If I had to place a bet, my money would also be on the motherboard or the power supply

rustymoose

rustymoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thank you i will do some more investigating but will most likely get a new motherboard. one mote question is i buy the exact same motherboard will i have to reinstall windows. i had to on my last upgrade but. I read somewhere that on new versions of windows u might not have to. and again it will be the exact same mobo

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Which version of windows do you have? I don't believe that you will have to, though you may need to input the windows product key again.

rustymoose

rustymoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
windows 7

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I don't think you'll have an issue with it in that case, when I replaced mine I had a blue screen the first time I booted up but was good from then on.

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I would check the power supply first though. If it's not even spinning the fans, it could be that.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
To rule out the case buttons and possible point to the MB.
Please remember safety, turn of the PSU, unplug from the wall socket, take anti static measures, (even whenjust handling parts) by briefly touching a bare metal part of the computer case.
Remove all the fronter header plugs for the Pwr/sw Reset/sw, and LED indicators.
Plug in, switch on the PSU.
With a small bladed screw driver, short out the power on pins. If boots, wait till you get to the desktop.
Short out the power pins again, Computer should shut down.
Again, start the computer, wait for the desktop.
short out the Reset pins, the computer should shut down and then restart.
What results please.

rustymoose

rustymoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i did what you said and obviously i dont have display but i waited for a long time and the screw driver was not able to turn off the pc but it was able to turn it on

rustymoose

rustymoose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
so i had an old motherboard from a friends pc that they junked it supports ddr2 memory and i had everything that i needed to get it up and running to test my vga and my vga worked fine so it has to be my motherboard and i already have one on the way. thank you for all the help

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the updates.
Looks like the case switches/LEDs are OK.
You could have, still can, try resetting the BIOS by clearing the CMOS using the jumper plug, then test again.
If the replacement MB is not the exact model? you will need to do a clean install of the OS and use the disc that comes with the MB for drivers etc. Further, If the Windows OS version is OEM, you will not be able to use it for the new MB as already installed once an activated it is tied to the original board.

If it is a different model MB, have you checked compatibility on the CPU support list?