Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Games disconnecting on Dual ISP setup

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Good day geekstogo. I've been having some troubles regarding this configuration. I have 2 ISP's, I've got 1 router and a 16-port switch hub. ISP A has 8mbps connection and the other has 5mbps.

I configured it to be used separately for 12 pcs. 8 computers for ISP A (8mbps) and 5 computers for ISP B (5mbps). ISP A (8mbps) connection was connected directly to the switch hub and ISP B (5bmps) is connected to switch hub through a router so that I can manually assign an ip address (192.168.1.10 to be exact). ISP A (8mbps) has a given IP of 192.168.1.1

I used IP adress 192.168.1.2 for server pc to control the time. computers 1 to 7 has an ip configurations as follows:

PC 1 to 7 ip configuration:

ip address: 192.168.1.3-9
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1 = ISP A(8mbs)

primary dns: 192.168.1.1 (metric 10)
decondary dns: 192.168.1.10 (metric 20) which redirects to ISP B (5mbps) in case ISP A (8mbps) is disconnected

PC 8 to 12 ip configuration: ( I interchanged some values to set ISP B(5mbps) as the primary gateway and dns)

ip address: 192.168.1.11
default gateway: 192.168.1.10 = ISP B(5mbps)

primary dns: 192.168.1.10 (metric 10)
secondary dns: 192.168.1.1 (metric 20)

Router settings:

ip address: 192.168.1.10
default gateway: 192.168.254.254 (this is the assign ip address for ISP B(5mbps)

I can do internet browsing on all computers. But when playing online games, during gameplay I encounter messages such as "Attempting to reconnect" For some games it temporary disconnects and reconnects after 10 seconds or so.

These are my questions, do I need to connect ISP A (8mbps) to another router same as ISP B (5mbps)? or do I need to adjust the metrics on both dns settings? The reason I connected ISP B(5mbps) to a router is to make ip addressess at the closest value as possible so that they can connect through a LAN.

I attached a simple diagram for my current setup. pls feel free to check it and hope someone will give his/her suggestions. Thanks very much to everyone.

Attached Thumbnails

• GeeksToGo.jpg

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why do you have two ISPs if you want all the computers on the same subnet? what is the purpose of this setup? where is this being done? what are the ISPs? what type of connections are these?

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
This is for my cafe, both for online and lan gaming. I have 2 different Internet service provider Globelines (5mbps) and PLDT (8mbps). The reason for this is because Globelines always disconnects during rainydays. When either of the two fails there will always be a backup. Sticking to a single ISP for a shop is not a good idea.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what you need in the situation you're trying to accomplish is a load balancer. there are many ways to do this...some hardware and some software, but since you already mention that you've got a TP link router in the mix, here's an article that uses a specific TP link router

http://bloggerabroad...d-load-balance/

the concepts are the same no matter how you do this. you're basically running BOTH internet connections in tandem on all the computers so you can (in most cases) effectively combine the bandwidth from both connections, and if one connection drops out, your client won't notice.

as to what is most likely happening with the current systems, especially with server-server gaming type systems, is that the connections are getting confused. if you really wanted to mingle the lan and still have the two separate internet connections the best way to do it would be to have two routers and two different distinct subnets and then let the routers route between the two subnets for lan traffic. there would be less of a chance for confusion.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Sorry for my late reply. Thanks very much for your time. I'm gonna add an extra router. But I would still use 1 switch hub for this right? The reason why I use routers because I've got a lot of good working ones here so I can save money at least. Would those computer see each other on LAN if I use different subnets? I mean they can play together when a workstation create a game. Do you have and example of a network configuration for this? I'm a little newbie when it comes to networking. Mind gets jumbled on numbers. Thanks again!

Edited by chickmazta, 12 December 2013 - 08:26 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry, I missed this reply somehow.

the absolute EASIEST method to achieve what you want is to have all the computers on one subnet, one switch, and one router that has 2 WAN (internet) connections that's capable of load balancing.

not knowing exactly where you are, I can't really price parts for you, but a REALLY quick search on the load balancer in the article I posted earlier suggests that one of the models TP link makes is around $60...which is pretty cheap for an assured fix.

outside of that, if you're just going to use routers, assuming the routers know about the other subnets, then yes you can communicate between the two subnets for machine to machine communications like that. that's not going to address the fact that you've still got two WAN connections. simply pointing DNS to one network or the other doesn't make a computer use a different router to get out to the internet. you can use routing tables and stuff to make it work, but it's confusing.

if all the computers in the café have static IP addresses you could assign each one an address on both of the subnets with the gateway for each IP being the router on that subnet, then that might allow for some fail over...but the load balancer is going to be your quickest and most reliable solution.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thank you very much for the help Sir dsenette :thumbsup: I already solved my issue by adding a router on ISP A. With this I gave router A and router B a new ip addresses (.1 and .2) I also bought a load balancing router which also worked perfectly.

People might be wondering why I did not use the balancer from the start. I've got a lot of routers here and using them gives a more space and saves a few bucks. The new balancer is for my next project. Thanks a lot and more power GTG!