Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time build, will it work?

• Please log in to reply

KeithK

KeithK

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So this is my first time building a pc. I will primarily be using it for gaming and video editing. I have a few (hopefully) simple questions. I am trying to keep it as inexpensive and powerful as possible, through doing this I am unsure if all the parts i've chosen are compatible with each other. My second question is that I am not sure how the case works. The motherboard and graphics card seem to have a lot of ports for USB and display, yet the case only has a few slots. How does that work, should I look for a new case, and if I need one, do you have a recomendations?
Here is the link to what parts I have assembled so far.
http://secure.newegg...Number=24359846
Any replys would be great, thanks
- Keith

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: KeithK

Not a bad list of parts but there is room for improvement with some items, please note that some of your selected items are currently out of stock at Newegg.

I suggest a change of case and PSU as you want better cooling and future upgrade potential;

Case

PSU

If your budget will allow it pay more for a better video card.

Got to go out for a few hrs now but will check back later.

KeithK

KeithK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Made some changes to the choice of case and the psu, and graphics card. Feedback on the newest version?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2c1GN

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The case has no USB 3.0 ports and a poor cooling system, this is reflected in the low price that it cost ($24.99 after mail in rebate).

A good add on video card will push your budget up to around the $700 area so incase your budget will not allow for that amount a present I have put together an alternative list of parts that includes a CPU that also provides the graphics solution, see here this would allow you to use the computer while you save the funds for an add on video card.

As an asides KeithK please read the Newegg reviews for the video card that you selected, they would not encourage me to purchase one :(

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
+1 for the build and the very sensible suggestion.
The Promo has ended on that case, A good one to consider, > http://pcpartpicker....ntec-case-gx700

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks iammykyl :thumbsup:

KeithK

KeithK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks a ton for the help you guys. One last question. In the event that the PC would start to overheat, would it give me some type of warning?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome.

In the event that the PC would start to overheat, would it give me some type of warning?

The CPU, GPU and MB, have pre-set safety measures set by Default but you may not actually receive a warning. You would have to inspect each one's settings where you can set visual or sound warnings. Other setting like fan speeds which are set to different temp readings should be left at Defaults unless you know what you are doing.
The CPU can protect itself and the system by throttling back or shutting down the system if the temps reach close to a critical point.
The same applies to the GPU.
Software that comes with the MB controls case fan speeds, will ramp up to full speed if there is a heat issue but is likely not able to shut the system down.