Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen on new computer

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Yes, I can. I have unhooked everything and hooked it back up. So, yes, I am more than willing to do this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you :thumbsup:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I should not be so quick to agree. This machine's settings are not like on XP. In fact, I can not find them. I have went to several places that says I can change the settings but I have no idea what I want to change on them. They really don't have a place that you hit and there are your settings that I could find. I shall look again and try finding them. But, so far, nothing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Here ya go:

Open Power Options by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

In the left pane, click Require a password on wakeup, Choose what the power button does, or Choose what closing the lid does (available only on laptops).

On the Define power buttons and turn on password protection page, choose the settings that you want to use when your computer is running on battery (if applicable), and when it's plugged in.

Click Save changes.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Got to where it said Balanced or High performance. Then the blue screen came up and my machine says it needs to update. Should I go update now? Then try it all over again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep sure.
I do not have any power settings at all except for screen saver. Nothing powers down or shuts off.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
That works for you? Then why do we have to have all the other stuff? Because we don't know what we are doing, right. Do you think I should put this on high performance? Maybe then when it sleeps it will come back when I sit down to use the machine. My daughter thinks I should take it back and get a new one. I don't think I am going to do that yet. I really just want this one to work right. I need to call them again and tell them what is going on. Just too many Dr. appointments this next week. My husband is getting so many tests. Anyway, you don't need to know that do you? I would not be able to take this machine back this next week anyway. Back to high performance, yes?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes put it back on high performance for now till we can figure out a plan of action. XP had power options also but they were much easier to get to then Win7 is. Just a different OS that takes some time to get use to. I am in no hurry so you do what you need to with Dr's and family. I will be here anytime you have some time.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I will put it on High performance then. And you know what I did know that you would be here. Maybe that is one reason I am not too happy with the gentleman who built this computer. See, I do so believe it you built one for someone and they were having problems, you would work with them and come up with an answer. That does not seem to be what is happening here. So thank you so much and I will be back so we can figure out what to do next.