Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD tcpip.sys error

• Please log in to reply

erickr16

erickr16

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Last night I was browsing the internet and i downloaded Norton Antivirus.Soon after the computer started to run very slowly and then the BSOD appeared. Is there anyway to fix it? Ive been running multiple malware scans and nothing has showed up.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: erickr16

Windows 8 and 8.1 both have an improved Windows Defender which is effectively Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and so there is no need for a third party AV software.

Norton is a known hog of system resources so I suggest that you try uninstalling it and see if the issue is resolved, if it is a paid for version make sure that you have a record of the registration code for it (in case you wish to reactivate it later) you must then use the correct uninstaller tool for this or the system may become unstable, see here

Just a FYI, when you install a third party AV software in Windows 8/8.1 Defender is automatically disabled, however please check once that once Norton has been correctly removed Defender is re-enabled and that there is no other anti virus protection present/enabled.

Let us know how it goes.

erickr16

erickr16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I uninstalled Norton and my computer has been running just fine now! Thanks!
However, how can i check if Windows defender is re-enabled?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Glad to hear that all is now well and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

RE Defender: check for a flag symbol at the right hand corner of the taskbar, right click on it to go into Action Center, expand the Security tab and check the settings there.

You are welcome btw :)

erickr16

erickr16

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you sooo much for all your help! I checked and Windows Defender is indeed on. Once again thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome and thanks for the follow up erickr16 :thumbsup: