Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

removed fake FBI lock then deleted avg now computer won't boot %hs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Wayzofthedozer

Wayzofthedozer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i switched it from ahci to ata a blue screen popped up and it says a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen restart your computer if it appears again follows these steps and ive already tried restarting and followed the steps when i tried to run CHKDSK /F like it said it says the type of filesystem is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected. i ran the fix you gave me and attached it

Attached Files

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Something seems fishy with either the hard drive or its driver.

Can you give me the brand/model of the computer, or the brand of the hard drive if it is custom built?

Also, did you try switching back to AHCI and booting after running the fixlist?

Wayzofthedozer

Wayzofthedozer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
its a dell inspiron 1440 completely stock lap top. the hdd is a western digital model WD2500BEVT-75ZCT2. and yes i switched it back same black screen as before

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
I'm sorry for the long wait...been enjoying the holiday. We're going to test the HD now, I'll be back soon with instructions.

Do you have important data backed up from this computer?

Wayzofthedozer

Wayzofthedozer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
no problem and no i havent i didnt have a chance before the %hs problem happened at the beginning

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
If you tap F12 while the computer is booting (on the Dell logo), does a diagnostic menu come up?

Would you like me to show you how to use Linux to back up your data before we test the hard drive?

Wayzofthedozer

Wayzofthedozer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yes a diagnostic menue does pop up and yes thatd be great if you could

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Here is the guide for backing up data. I usually recommend this before testing hard drives, because if they are on the brink of failing, a test may send them over the edge.

Then, we need to run either the HD or hardware test from the diagnostic menu. Let me know how it comes out.

Wayzofthedozer

Wayzofthedozer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i backed up the files and there were no problems detected during the diagnosis

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Ok. Let's check the memory. When you boot into the Recovery Environment like you are going to run FRST, you should have an option to run the memory test (instead of entering command prompt). Please run it and let me know if it finds any errors.

Do you have a Windows CD?

Advertisements

Wayzofthedozer

Wayzofthedozer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i do not have a windows cd. And it said there were no issues

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Sorry for the delay. I was consulting with my colleagues and we have come up with some more ideas. I need to check it out on my test computer first and I have a busy day today, so it may not be until tomorrow that I can get back to you. Posted Image

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Ok, this is a little complicated. If you have any questions, please let me know.

We need to boot to a 32-bit recovery environment. Please download the .iso file from here.

Now we need to burn the iso to a USB flash drive so that we can boot the computer from it. If you would prefer a CD, let me know.

To do this we will use Rufus. Download the program from my link and run it. Make sure your flash drive is plugged in.

Posted Image

Select the ISO file that you downloaded via the ISO icon.

Press "Start."

Posted Image

When it finishes, download TDSSKiller from here and save it to the root of the flash drive.

Now, boot the problem computer from the USB (if you need specific instructions, let me know).
This should present you with a Recovery Environment exactly like the one we have been using. When you get to the part about selecting the operating system, it will give you an error about being the wrong version for your computer. Click OK or Cancel and it should still bring you to the screen where you can select "Command Prompt." Then run tdsskiller in the same way as you ran FRST before, using this line at the command prompt (remember to replace F: with the correct drive letter for the flash drive as before):

F:\TDSSKiller.exe -l report.txt

Then follow these instructions:

• Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then click on Change parameters.
    Posted Image
  • Check all boxes except "Loaded modules" then click OK.
    Posted Image
  • Click the Start Scan button.
    Posted Image
  • The scan should take no longer than 2 minutes.
  • If a suspicious object is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
    Posted Image
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
    Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
    Posted Image
    Note: If Cure is not available, please choose Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
  • A report will be created in your root of the flash drive named "report.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

Wayzofthedozer

Wayzofthedozer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i figured out how to get to it but it said no treats found

Edited by Wayzofthedozer, 10 January 2014 - 08:00 PM.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Which selection screen? The original boot screen, or the one that gives the options below:

Posted Image