Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop running slow with pop up ads constantly [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

phansen

phansen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, First off I just want to say thank you if you are reading this and considering even responding to my cry for help. We have a wireless network which is password protected. My new Dell laptop which was running Windows 7 (I won't lie I'm not familiar with this operating system) I have been out of the computer area years ago due to new job, however; it was also running slow both laptops (Dells) have McAfee for antivirus protection. Mine tried to reboot however during the start up it was stuck at classpnp.sys and could not even log in safe mode to get to a DOS prompt to rename that file. Now the other new laptop (warranty expired last month) is acting up as well, ads pop up CONSTANTLY. When searching a topic another window opens on it's own in IE with another advertisement page. I downloaded malwarebytes.org and yes, it was finding so many issues - BUT - nothing is working. Can you please give me some insight on a program to try, could it be the wireless router, I do have the firewall running on all PC's - but am at a loss. Please, can someone give some advice what I can try? I really appreciate this I am extremely frustrated and realize I am in need to keep my computer skills updated.
Thank you in advance! Peggy

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi which one would you like to start with ?

For the non booter do you have the windows CD ?

phansen

phansen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the fast response...the answer is no. I went against my better judgement where I bought the laptops, however; I did create the recovery disks - BUT - that doesn't even work. Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm not too familiar with this OS or laptops - could it be an issue where the hard drive just crashed. When I ran the program to detect hardware devices, it stated it couldn't find the hard drive. I had questioned a few IT guys at work about how hot it was getting to me didn't seem normal but they stated it's common for laptops to run hot....I was going to attempt to get an external drive to stick the hard drive in and see if I could get it to boot from the working laptop...I know it is a SATA hard drive and just heard someone say that Dell has been known to put in cheap equipment (not coming from me everyone has their opinions, don't want to anger anyone)...so the LONG answer to your simple question is NO I do not have the Windows 7 CD, thanks Peggy

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem we will create a recovery console USB :)

Download the following three programmes to your desktop : I will PM the ISO links as I have restricted bandwidth on my dropbox

1. Rufus

For 64bit systems
2. Windows 7 64bit RC
3. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64

For 32bit systems
2. Windows 7 RC
3. Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Insert the USB stick Then run Rufus
Posted Image
Select the ISO file on the desktop via the ISO icon.

Press Start Burn
Posted Image
Then copy FRST to the same USB

Posted Image

Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer. First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB
Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here

When you reboot you will see this although yours will say windows 7.
Click repair my computer
Posted Image

Select your operating system
Posted Image

Select Command prompt
Posted Image

At the command prompt type the following :

notepad and press Enter.
The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
The tool will start to run.
When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Posted Image
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.