Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Presario V2000 Notebook won't boot / PXE-E61 message

• Please log in to reply

dmmackay

dmmackay

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Someone had gave me a Presario v2000 Notebook some time ago. Can't remember what was wrong with it, but I pulled it out.

I had the Smart Message at Start UP/ so I Ran the TOOL in the BIOS/ Said the HD was fine.

Besides Pressing the Fl to always boot/ and the DVD player didn't work or register in the Devive Manager; it was woking pretty smooth. It was just installing the last of some updates for Win 7
Then as I get up the HD falls out and I get a New Message at Start up that I can't Pass By(E) :help:

(Photo #1)IMG_1162.JPG
Two lines keep flashing over and over endlessly.

Ater this message flashing all the time- I plug in the ethernet cable and get another Step farther/ VIMG_1155.JPG but it doesn't go past this.

So I'm wondering how to get around it(for now?)
I'm also not going to dismiss the problem that something might have got Shorted :blink: in the HD falling out and it still being ON!!! :wacko:

In the BOIS TOOL(S)? / Appearantly Disk Check Tool is the only 1 available/listed. Which says No HD Found. (after using 3 total now that did work on this machine and I was about to eliminate the Original Smart Message with a new HD!!IMG_1161.JPG
In the BIOS I Can't seem to Disable the Network Adaptor-Nor Change the Nalues IN ANY OF the Advanced Options.
There's no Floppy on the Notebook> yet BOIS Lists Floppy/
BOIS Shows DVD Drive/ But it doesn't seem to have a Wroking One.
and this value for the Floppy can't be chaged? Nor the Network Adaptor???Thing.

Anyone's Expertice would be Greatly Appreciated
P.S.
Would/Could I do a Flash(NeverDone One before)
I don't/can't boot from a USB? NOR Never did!
DVD Don't Work! :help:
But what's the Solution:
I thought I might be able to reset some things with the CMOS Battery removed (except for the system time/ NO!)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1155.JPG
  • IMG_1159.JPG
  • IMG_1155.JPG
  • IMG_1157.JPG
  • IMG_1159.JPG

Edited by dmmackay, 11 December 2013 - 06:33 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like it has a failed HD. I see by one of your pics that the HD is 3rd in the list of bootable devices.
Your boot sequence should be
CDrom
HD
Floppy Disk

Disable the network boot because that is what the PXE error is saying the system is trying to boot to.
If the hd is not identified in the bios then it is most likely it has died. Since you can not boot to a cdrom or usb the only way to actually check then is to take the hd out and have it tested in another desktop system, external hookup or a shop.

dmmackay

dmmackay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I put the HD in and it booted.
The problems was- after the Crash- I removed the HD, etc. and the CMOS Battery.
When I started it up, there was no HD in it- but I was expecting the message "NO OS/HD, but since I got another message about PXE-E61, It didn't register that it might be skipping the boot sequence.

So, it's working now.
Thanks everyone.

:thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good to know and did you set the boot sequence as I suggested?

dmmackay

dmmackay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I think I reset the Factory Defaults. I also got the DVD working.
Except for the SMART disk failure predicted message- Seems to be working pretty good.
Tks AGAIN,
:thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then I suggest you do the following to check the HD. The smart disk failur is telling you the hd is failing.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (chose "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

dmmackay

dmmackay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Tks for the EXTENDED SUPPORT.
:notworthy:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The important issue needs to be resolved which is if the hd is failing or not. It's good that you got the system to boot but I'm worried about the hd failing on you. If it is failing then we can get the important data backed up now so you don't lose everything. :thumbsup:

dmmackay

dmmackay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
There's no data on the HD. As long as it works and connects to the net, it's just a back up to use.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmm strange as if it is just a backup drive it would have no part of the system not booting. Is it the drive you took out and then put back in?