Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Large photo collection scared of Cryptolocker

• Please log in to reply

old

old

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Existing setup is gigabite router, three computers and a raid 10 NAS .
The photos are so important that I propose to take the main computer off the internet and have it connected to the NAS only. How do I do this and keep the file transfer speed? Computer is running windows 7. How do I set up and wire this and what hardware is required please.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi Old :welcome:

If the machines doesn't have a permanent drive letter mapped to access the NAS it would be safe from Cryptolocker because the malware will look for files on the drive letters visible to the system and not network path's \\nas_ip\sharedfolder

If possible adjust permissions on the share to read-only if not all the machines/users need to have write access to the files.

Protect the machines by installing HitmanPro's CryptoGuard or CryptoPrevent Tool

More about the Cryptolocker malware can be found at Bleeping Computer here.

old

old

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My feeling is that i want to air gap the main computer (used for photoshop) and the NAS from the internet, but am not shure how to do this and get it working do i need to get a extra router or can it be done another way please.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

My feeling is that i want to air gap the main computer (used for photoshop) and the NAS from the internet, but am not shure how to do this and get it working do i need to get a extra router or can it be done another way please.

If you have a router the computers and the NAS inside your network aren't accessible from the Internet unless you have some ports forward in your router.

The infection only occurs if you download files from the Internet and when it happens the infected machine will start encrypting all the files it can reach including the files on the NAS if there is a drive mapped to the NAS share and the user have permissions to write to the files.

You can isolate the main computer from internet by setting a fixed IP address and without specifying a gateway address, this way the computer can access resources in your network but not the Internet. Isolating a machine can actually make it more vulnerable if you use any storage device coming from another machine eventually infected because without Internet most likely the machine will have the Antivirus software outdated.

old

old

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think i am confusing you i just want to connect a stand alone pc to a NAS .Use the pc to process photos in photoshop and save to its hd then copy to nas as extra more secure copy. Networking is a subject not very well understood by me hence these basic questions.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I think i am confusing you i just want to connect a stand alone pc to a NAS .Use the pc to process photos in photoshop and save to its hd then copy to nas as extra more secure copy. Networking is a subject not very well understood by me hence these basic questions.

Do you need the PC also with access to the Internet or not?

old

old

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No access required .I have other computers to do that, as indicated in my first post.
I am grateful for your help with this thank you very much.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

No access required .I have other computers to do that, as indicated in my first post.
I am grateful for your help with this thank you very much.

OK, you can setup a different network for the PC and the NAS without extra hardware because you don't want to have internet access.

If your router provides IP address in the form 192.168.1.x to the machines in your network you can isolate the NAS and the PC if you disable DHCP and use fixed IP's on them something like 192.168.100.x (x must be different for every device).

With this configuration you need to make sure the router is using a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 to "create" to different networks 192.168.1 and 192.168.100

To check your network configuration download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.