Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down after some secconds

• Please log in to reply

Hubbs

Hubbs

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello there!

So i bought a new motherboard, rams. And i built up the computer few mins ago and it shuts down after 3-4 secconds. It wont show anything on the monitor either. I reseted the jumper,the battery. i tryed 1 ram by 1. i tryed them in different slots still nothing. I tryed running without a graphic card still the same.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus M2NPV-VM
CPU: Amd Athlon 64 x2 5800+
Ram: 4x 1GB
Graphic-card: Nvidia Geforce 7800 GT
Power supply: 620W Corsair

Advertisements

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I hear no "beep" sound also when starting it. All the fans are running fast, no problem with them. All i hear before the PC shuts down is a sound from the Floppy a sound like "brr" then it shuts down. But it made the same sound before with my old components and it started with no problem. Iam running with a Laptop Harddisk. I had no problems for 2 years with it. Always runned perfectly.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i unplugged everything from the motherboard except powersupply and 1 ram. i got the cpu+heatsink+cpu fan connected also. still the same. boots down after 3-5 secconds. wont show anything on the monitor either, tryed it with the motherboards graphic instead of my graphic card

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Hubbs, welcome back.
You may have a compatibility problem here. From what I have read, it is an OEM CPU, manufactured as a special for HP and the likes, surplus stock was sold off the outlets like Newegg. On the CPU support list, you will see the X2 5600+ then jumps to X2 6000+, the x2 5800+ is not supported.
> http://www.asus.com/...2NPVVM/#support
Your MB (Asus M2NPV-VM ) is not on this list as a known MB that supports the x2 5800+
> http://www.cpu-upgra...therboards.html

Just a guess here, could be no BIOS support. You might try contacting Asus support for glorification.

What was the original MB.
Did you check that the stand offs matched the pattern and number of screw holes in the MB.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey there iammykyl and thanks for the help!

I was reading on some forums where a guy had a similar problem and he took all the parts out from his chassi and then put the parts on some wood or paper and it started to work like a charm. i tryed it also few minutes ago and nothing happens, same issue. 5 secconds and its off. i noticed that my power supply fan ran really slow so i changed the cable but it was still the same. I got another processor its a Sempron (No idea of the model) But the previous owner had it working, i put that cpu in also (the sempron one) and its still the same issue 5 secconds then the pc turns off.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
i forgot the mention that the CPU is also new. my old rig was a ABIT-KN8 motherboard with a amd athlon 64 2x 3800+ processor and 3,5GB Ram

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Found out the model of the CPU. I also used the site that you linked and the current motherboard i have fits this amd sempron processor. (AMD Sempron 64 3400+)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Did the new CPU cooler have a protective plastic film on the heat-sink plate? Did you remove it?
Was there a thermal pad already affixed to the heats-ink plate? if not, did you apply TIM.
Have you used two power cables from the PSU to the MB?
What model PSU?
What brand/model RAM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Try testing again, outside the case (bare bones or breadboard setup) without the GPU installed.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes i removed the plastic at the start. i applied thermal paste. And yes i put in both of the PSU cables in. the 4 Slot one and the 24 slot one. Model of the PSU is a Crosair HX620W. The rams are 3x Samsung 1GB PC2-6400U-666-12-ZZ And 1x Apacer 1GB UNB PC2-5300 CL5.

Advertisements

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Alright. I did like u said. I tested it on the chassi. Just the Motherboard - CPU+Heatsink/Fan - Graphic card. Still the same issue. Shuts down after 5 secconds. I did this try with the sempron processor

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sorry, didnt notice you said without the GPU. Tested it now without the GPU and same issue.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
I believe you also have a RAM issue. As a general rule you should only install RAM of matching speed/timing/voltage, if more than one stick, the same brand and bought as a kit, (guaranteed to work, bought separately, not guaranteed). 2 sticks of the same specs but different brands may have problems as the physical properties may be different. When different speeds, all sticks will run at the lowest RAM speed. Different timing will be unstable, you would need to set all sticks to the same timing in the BIOS. You have mismatched RAM.

The system must have on stick installed in the primary slot, that is the first one connected to the controller, to be able to Boot. For your MB, B1,(running single channel) closest to the CPU.
Two sticks, B1 and A1. (running Duel Channel). > Motherboard Manual, pages 14/15
Lets see if we cha get it going using a bare bones setup. If you know the athlon 64 2x 3800+ processor edit, see post 15 is OK, clean off old TIM and apply new. use that. keyboard/mouse. one stick of the Samsung RAM in slot B1. monitor connected to the onboard graphic. No internet, no other hardware. Test. If OK.
Shut down, Add the second stick of the Samsung to slot A1. Test. If OK.
Shut down, Swap to your new CPU. (don't forget to clean all traces of TIM from the CPU and cooler plate, then apply new TIM) Test.

Info, > http://www.hardwares...R3-Memories/167

post edit to correct CPU name.

Hubbs

Hubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
The Athlon 64 x2 3800+ is a socket 939. My new parts are AM2 and DDR2 so i cant test the processor on the new board.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Apologies Hubbs, Copied the wrong CPU.
Should have been , If you know the (AMD Sempron 64 3400+) is OK, use that.